adding an apex controller just for fun.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
ive been toying with the idea of adding a controller to my nano reef for a while. decieded to go with an apex controller and 2-8 outlet switchable power supplies. i was going to get the wireless option for my vortechs but i dont think ill need it.

instead of using a top off controller im going to just run my ro/di unit directly to a float valve on the sump. ro unit has an auto shutoff.

the nice thing about this controller is i can keep an eye on my tank parameters from my iphone and turn items off if i want.

1 thing i like is if my tank temp gets to hot the controller will automaticly shut off the main lights for as long as i determine or turn on a cooling fan.and if the tank ph drops to low at night it can shut off the calcium reactor for a while.

instead of running a 75ft network cable to my router i just will add a wireless bridge by my tank.

should be kinda cool .

ill post some pictures of the install.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i already have a top off controller. i guess i better use it. or not at all. i only have to add about 1 quart of water every 2 days.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Yea, Im not trying to rain on your parade or anything. A lot of people do what you are doing it seems.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sounds like a sick setup. Can't wait to see the pics. I would like to get a controller at some point, waiting before I make that sort of investment though.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
I'm working on switching my 125 over to salt. HoPefully be done by June. I might buy another 1 for that tank if I like it.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
mos90;4994629; said:
I'm working on switching my 125 over to salt. HoPefully be done by June. I might buy another 1 for that tank if I like it.
Glad to hear this. Means you will be able to use all your expensive toys on a bigger tank. :D

I always get a kick out of your threads: CALCIUM REACTOR! APEX CONTROLLER!

All for your little reef haha. Your dedication in that regard cannot be questioned.

I will be trying a controller sooner or later as well. I want to get one for my 125g to do top offs as I am losing over a gallon a day, and my tank is soon going to be basically uncovered.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i dont think i will get rid of the nano reef. i might move a few of the larger corals over though. not much of a plan yet.

i have a friend interested in buying my 125 with some of my fish. i might order a 195gal sump/stand/tank combo from great lakes aquarium to replace it.

i might save the controller for the larger tank. idk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store