has anyone kept remora with their sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICatchSmallone

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2011
California
my LFS has one remoras
and it just look stunning. the perfect fish.
not sure how big it might grow up to, since it already 2ft long

I was wonder, is keeping these fish even allow?
anyone has experience with keeping this kind of fish?

alprazo

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
Pennsylvania
I had one 20+ years ago. It was very very aggressive, grew rapidly, and the only shark that I would recommend they go with is one swimming free in the ocean.

Species only tank = great hardy fish. Otherwise, my personal experience would recommend against one.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
I have one. It seems to grow really fast like alprozo said. it doesn't really seem too aggressive but it is also in with a bunch of large free swimming sharks. He doesn't seem to bother anyone and spends all its time hooked up with the large lemon.

IbanezIC300

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
I had one for a while but got rid of it because it got too big too quick. I would think if you are looking at one that is 2' already, you have a big tank. Be prepared for it to grow another foot. Mine was a voracious eater but fairly peaceful overall.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
I see that youre in SoCal. The only time Ive seen a remora at a LFS was when I lived in Palmdale. Tropical Fish Warehouse? or are these more common than I thought?

ICatchSmallone

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2011
California
decide not to pick it up. apparently its unhealthy and poor condition due to the lfs decide to put it in a tiny tank that hardly have enough room to swim.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For whatever it's worth, there are actually 8 species of fish labled "Remora" (shark suckers). Some stay small, but are harder to keep. Ironically, the larger species do better, but you need a LOT of free swimming space, as they get 3' or more. Most of the larger species do best with a host shark of 8' +.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store