Angelfish eating cardinal tetras?

mattsoccer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2011
Brighton MI
Hey people i have a 75 gallon with 15 cardinal tetras and i wanted to add like 6 or so angelfish but a fish store told me that angelfish eat carinal tetras. But i like them sooo much and i spent kinda allot of money on them. So has anyone ever kept them together and they did not get eaten or get eaten? Please if you know and have kept them together post here or email me at mattsoccer20@gmail.com please i need to know i can figure out what to do. Thanks

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
If the angels get large enough they can definitely go after tetras. You may have better luck raising small angels in a community setup. If you add adult angels to a tank with cardinals, or vice versa, they're likely to go on the hunt for the cardinals. Discus will do this, too. They're all cichlids, after all. ;)

R.A.C.K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
North Carolina
I've got angels and cardinals in the same tank. They all started out small and I've never had problems. I've always heard they'd eat neon tetras but not cardinals, guess as long as they grow up together and their well feed though they should be fine.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Neons are a natural prey of angels in the wild. Cardinals are a bit bigger so you should be ok for awhile. My 6" angel won't touch my serpaes or x-rays, but ate 5 1" ottos in about a week.

Once angels get large they can eat anything that fits in their mouth. Not saying they will, just that it could be a possibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store