Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Ilyodon furcidens: A Beautiful Wild-type Livebearer for Your Aquarium

I am offering for sale a number of ILyodon furcidens. Here is a quick shot of one of my fish.

These are fantastic wild-type livebearers, one of the most appealing species for aquariums. A good-sized group of these active animals makes an awesome display in a largish tank. They remind me of rainbows because they swim about constantly in the mid-level area of the tank. They have beautiful, if subtle, markings that include many metallic gold flecks and tail spots of varying patterns.

Ilyodon furcidens are perfect tank mates for Central American cichlids. They like hard water and once they have grown up to size they are fast and brave enough to tolerate aggressive tank mates.

Here is a YouTube video that I put together showing a group of I. furcidens along with a couple other species in a 50-gallon setup.

YouTube: Ilyodon furcidens, Cryptoheros cutteri & Synodontis lucipinnis

This species belongs to the intriguing Family Goodeidae, a group of fishes found only in Mexico. Among other biologically unique characteristics of the goodeids is a placenta-like organ that nourishes the fish embryo while it develops inside of its mother. As a result of this unique adaptation, Ilyodon furcidens and other goodeids are soemtimes quite large when they drop as fry.

These fish breed prolifically and I have quite a few on-hand. Here are the prices that I have calculated for them:

• Group of SIX unsexed juveniles (>1") $16
  • TRIO, 2 females and 1 male sub-adult (1" - 2") fish $14

I recommend a group of at least six fish if you want to start a breeding colony and/or grow them up for a display as a shoal.

Shipping via USPS Priority Mail insulated shipping box will start at around $9, with additional charges for larger numbers of fish and certain far-away destinations.

Just send a PM if you have any questions and thanks for considering this offer. Ilyodon furcidens is a really great aquarium fish!

hydrophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
I'd love to get some of these fish out of here.

I. furcidens makes an excellent dither/target for cichlid setups.

Did I mention that these fish have collection data for the location and date in Mexico?!

Ask me about other stuff that I can include free or cheap with these fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store