20g First SW tank

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
So I am just starting.

This is my first saltwater tank and I always thought journals were very helpful.

The tank has been running for about 3 weeks with only live sand in it at the moment.

Current equipment is:

Heater
-100w Hydor Theo heater

Filtration
- AquaClear 70 (running only sponge right now)
-AquaC remora nano protein skimmer (maxijet 1200 powerhead)

Lighting
-Solarmax H.O. 24" High output t5 lighting system
( 2x 24w bulbs with 4x moonlights)

Additional Flow
-Koralia nano 425gph pump

I just put live rock in the tank from tampa bay saltwater. I think I have seen a couple of small hermit crabs, a limpet, 2 curly cue anemones (I think) a couple of small crabs, a couple of small snails, and some cool looking worms.

Here are pictures of the tank while it cycles, then I will get the rest of the "package" from tampa bay saltwater when it is done. Let me know what you think so far!!

taa.jpg

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Not sure yet. Was thinking definitely a clown and anemone, not sure what else. Any suggestions?

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
get your self a goby... always entertaining

Looks good btw.. Nice setup

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Nice live rock. I have been to the tampa bay website a couple of times to just browse, and their deco rock is interesting to look at. If you plan on doing any corals, then it would be best to get a postive ID on the crabs you mentioned and make sure they wont be a pest.

Otherwise, good start.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Yeh will do. I am by no means even close to 100% sure but one of the crabs I saw was about 1 cm in length and was tanish color with some red, and was kind of hairy. Reminds me of gorilla crab pictures I have seen but I have no idea.

I guess I can try to trap them to be sure, any suggestions?

gveng

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
looks great so far. i would add a little more lbs of live rock and make a single center island and try to eliminate all the bubbles.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I haven't received all of the liverock yet. He sends the rest of it once the tank has cycled.

Is there any easy way to do water changes in small tanks without interrupting the entire tank?

Also, right before my WC tonight I notice the salinity and gravity were a little high. I have seen people just replace the water that gets evaporated with freshwater. Does that help with the above problem and is that something I need to make sure to do?

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I use a siphon and a 5 gallon jug. I just siphone the water out and then back in. Very quiet and doesn't disturb a thing.

When water evaporates, the salt remains in the tank. This makes your salinity go up. You should be adding water frequently to keep from the saliity swinging. You should top it off with RODI water. If you use tap water it has phosphates, chlorine, nitiates etc which is bad for your tank. If you use saltwater you will be adding more salt to the tank which will raise your salinity.

Only top off with salt water if you are trying to raise your salinity. Otherwise use RODI

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Greg31;5021819; said:
I haven't received all of the liverock yet. He sends the rest of it once the tank has cycled.
That's odd. LR helps cycle the tank. Adding addition LR will cause a mini cycle because of die off... but hey, as long as you have more coming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store