1.5 days with the new Motoro

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
New to rays but not fishkeeping! Did tons of research befor purchasing...watched the ray at the LFS for a good 45 mins and had the fishkeeper feed him before purchasing...
180 gallon tank with sand bottom. Water param + Ammon-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-10
Acllimatized the ray with the drip meathod using airline tubing which took about an hour then put him in with the lights off.
Since I have put him in he has only gone from the middle of the tank where he landed when I put him in, over to the corner where he has buried himself. I worked from home today and my tank is right beside my desk, so I was able to watch him.....
He has barely moved all day. Kinda turned himself around a bit...other than that...nothing. How long before he starts moving around? Lights are out and he is not being bothered by any other fish. I have read that others have their new additions swimming around almost right away...I am going onto day 2 and he just sits there with his eyes sticking out of the sand. Cant really tell you if his coloration is good because I cant see him!!
He is breathing tho!!
Any advice would be appreciated....set my mind at ease.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
How big/old is the ray? Is he breathing at a normal rate? In my experience younger/smaller rays usually take a while to become active after moving them.

Some rays are also are just more timid than others, I have a few larger rays that always take a few days, sometimes weeks, to return to normal after being moved, while others are back to normal in a matter of minutes.

Have you tried offering him food, whatever the LFS was feeding him? It sounds like you did everything right, if the ray looks healthy and was eating at the LFS then he should be fine, I wouldn't worry to much just yet.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Yah not too uncommon for them to be shy first couple days. Try coaxing him out with food maybe even feed him and turn out the lights so he feels safer

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
He has a 5" disk. No idea how old that would make him...not sure if it is even a he or she.....I think it is a female...I think.....
It seems like he is breathing normally but I really don't have anything to compare it to......
I tried to feed him some shrimp and he didn't even unbury itself....
He ate live worms in the store and was the most active of all that were for sale....

Thanks for the advise

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I once just changed how the aquarium looked, and, took out some roots and changed formations on those left, and one of the rays took up to 1 month to act like normal again, i changed his spot, and he got really pissed of it :)

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Feed what he was eating in the store. If it was bloodworm, face-plant your forehead and get some black worms or earthworm. Very unlikely he'll just eat shrimp for you unless that's what he was eating in the store.

Cover the tank and actually leave him alone.

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
All great advise guys! Thanks very much!

Woke this morning to find that he has moved to the other side of the tank and buried himself! So I know he moves!! LOL
I will get some of the same live worms the fish store was feeding him and pick up some ghost shrimp as well. See how that works.

Freshwater Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Surrey,B.C. Canada
Update....
hasn't moved yet today....put some bloodworms in....he lifted the front of his disc about 1.5 inches and was sucking whatever was infront of him in under his disc....other than that, his breathing seems calmer than what it did 24hrs ago and he is only half buried in the sand, so the coloration that I CAN see....looks good. The corner that he has decided to park himself in now has a blanket covering the front and side and the lights are out. Tested the water again today and PH is still at 6.6, Ammon-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10ish

Curious....can rays actually ingest food through their spiracle holes? Looked like he was actually eating that way as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store