Metal Halide Bulb Color Temp Questions

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
Hey all,
I am trying to get my lighting ordered for my 45 gallon tank so that I can begin buying corals. I am purchasing 2-150 W MH pendants from here.

http://www.fishneedit.com/150w-metal...ndant-lig.html

The site allows me to select a bulb color choice for my fixture. Would you order 6700k, 8000k, 10000k, 14000k, 20000k. Some background on my tank is that it will be MH only for a while, but I will eventually be adding a Sunlight Supply T5HO retro kit for actinic supplementation. Which bulb color would you select with that in mind...I like a hint of blue, so I was thinking 14000k...but I want the bulb that will give me the best coral growth and color...

What do you suggest?

After the factory bulbs die, I was thinking of running either pheonix or radium. But these bulbs will need to last me the first six or nine months.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I am more of a 14k person.

And I would run VHOs for actinic supplementation. T5s just dont cut it like VHOs do.

johnny roastbeef

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2007
connectiut
A 14K will give you a hint of blue, depending upon the manufacturer of the lamp. Some people would supplement with actinic lighting to make the corals fluoresce more. I think the price is good on that fixture, but I would look for something that had supplemental T5s and even moonlights built in, that would give you the ability to run just the blues in the morning and the evening with all running during the middle of the day.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
johnny roastbeef;5027153; said:
A 14K will give you a hint of blue, depending upon the manufacturer of the lamp. Some people would supplement with actinic lighting to make the corals fluoresce more. I think the price is good on that fixture, but I would look for something that had supplemental T5s and even moonlights built in, that would give you the ability to run just the blues in the morning and the evening with all running during the middle of the day.
This is the other fixture I was considering purchasing two of, but no outside company makes a T5 bulb that will fit it, which bothers me, and I have heard BAD things about their ballasts catching fire....and beings as they are not UL listed, insurance companies won't cover the damages.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-18in-Metal-Halide-Pendant-p/54242.htm

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Heathd;5027137; said:
I am more of a 14k person.

And I would run VHOs for actinic supplementation. T5s just dont cut it like VHOs do.
VHO blowin t5 out the water here in central WI.

Wont ever build a hood that involves T5 after using VHO.

08trdoffroad;5027193; said:
This is the other fixture I was considering purchasing two of, but no outside company makes a T5 bulb that will fit it, which bothers me, and I have heard BAD things about their ballasts catching fire....and beings as they are not UL listed, insurance companies won't cover the damages.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-18in-Metal-Halide-Pendant-p/54242.htm
Interesting to hear about the UL listing. I did not know that, and that is something that I will incorporate into my posts on various forums about these fixtures from now on.

That being said AT has made huge improvements on their fixtures, and the last time actual fire complaints were made was like a year and a half before the first time I bought one of their units, over two years ago.

Since then I have placed at least five of their various units in other houses and only had melting plastic once...the kid forgot to put the fan on his fixture.

That same fixture was sold to someone else I know after the fan had been placed on and has not had issues since.

The whole them making unique wattage bulbs thing is a pain in the butt, but at least they are super cheap. With quality to match I imagine, however I used one of their pc fixtures for almost a year and a half on a planted tank with good success and good light quality in my mind.

08trdoffroad

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Utah, USA
FLESHY;5027482; said:
VHO blowin t5 out the water here in central WI.

Wont ever build a hood that involves T5 after using VHO.

Interesting to hear about the UL listing. I did not know that, and that is something that I will incorporate into my posts on various forums about these fixtures from now on.

That being said AT has made huge improvements on their fixtures, and the last time actual fire complaints were made was like a year and a half before the first time I bought one of their units, over two years ago.

Since then I have placed at least five of their various units in other houses and only had melting plastic once...the kid forgot to put the fan on his fixture.

That same fixture was sold to someone else I know after the fan had been placed on and has not had issues since.

The whole them making unique wattage bulbs thing is a pain in the butt, but at least they are super cheap. With quality to match I imagine, however I used one of their pc fixtures for almost a year and a half on a planted tank with good success and good light quality in my mind.
You answered my question that I posted in your build thread. I think I will stick with my plan to purchase to fishneedit pendants and then switch to and run VHO instead of T5 For supplementation. Where is the best place to find a VHO retro kit. All the sites I frequent have discontinued VHO kits....which raises more questions...are they really superior if they are being discontinued?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
This really depends on what bulbs you are running. MH tends to be more white than blue.

This is why VHO or t5 is being used.

I have no idea why VHO would be discontinued. I like mine.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
08trdoffroad;5027720; said:
You answered my question that I posted in your build thread. I think I will stick with my plan to purchase to fishneedit pendants and then switch to and run VHO instead of T5 For supplementation. Where is the best place to find a VHO retro kit. All the sites I frequent have discontinued VHO kits....which raises more questions...are they really superior if they are being discontinued?
A lot of the discontinued units you are seeing are probably the Icecap 660, since Icecap went under not too long ago. Coralvue makes the exact same thing called the... Coralvue 660, they hired on the old pres and got rights to manufacturer it. IMO, the 660 is one of the best VHO ballast you can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store