Datnoids eat rocks?!

lilolmedn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Austin, Texas
Thought this was kind of funny...

So I picked up 4 Dats from a fellow MFKer and they are awesome... all 4 are 10-12"ers...

This is the funny thing I found peculiar..

After the first night in the tank I noticed 2 or three Tan/White round objects 1/4 - 1/2 inch in size on the bottom of the tank.. at first I was like WTF eggs? :screwy:

Turns out it was gravel.. so I removed the 3 pieces of gravel and thought maybe the fish had accidentally ingested it since Dats are suction feeders and I could see them accidentally eating a piece of gravel or two to pick up a pellet off the aquarium floor....

A day later more pebbles...

So far I have collected a good handfull of pebble size gravel off the bottom of my aquarium (I run a barebottom system so it's not hard to miss)

Its hard to believe that they have ingested this many rocks lol...

And furthermore I hope to god they aren't pooping them out... I could see them doing it though because 12" dats do crap the size of stingray poop..

What do you guys think? Ever heard of Dats ingesting gravel for any other purpose than accidentally? And that MUCH!?

Thought it was funny and I should share heh :screwy:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,I've seen dats of all sizes take in gravel and small stones as they suck in a food item......and they always spit out the rocks soon after.

lilolmedn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Austin, Texas
Crazy thing is... they could not have held the rocks in that long... even the seller I received the fish from starved them for around 3 days before pickup...

ErikV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2007
Holland
My IT eats gravel all the time when he is trying to suck in bloodworms from the bottom of the tank, but he spits the gravel right out after ‘inhaling’ it. Never caught him on spitting out gravel or rocks long afterwards.. I am very curious to here if anyone knows if Datnoids are able to hold gravel in there stomach for such a long time..

lilolmedn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Austin, Texas
Just found another rock in the tank lol... it's been over a week and a half.. this is crazy.. at least I am not finding 5 or 6.. just 1 after a few days of 1.. so strange

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
anybody else experience this? I a good friend of mine is?

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Think your dat may b addicted to rock! Lol JK...mine take in mouth fulls @ times when eating pellets off bottom, but usually seem to spit them out after. If there's some in its stomach, it should b able to puke them all out in time...if not, gonna be a painful **** in stored for the poor guy!!!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
I wonder how long it will last, there are no white pebbles or rocks in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store