Theory on Albinos

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
We've all seen them in the hobby. The albino version of the same type of fish we love. Well by observing my fish, I theorize that albinos are nature's way of saying, "don't do that!" In "that" I mean inbreeding.

I have two tanks filled with pet/feeders in the form of Convicts and Mollies. I have the pleasure of seeing generation after generation born and reproducing. But now, after the 3rd generation, I'm seeing more and more albinos. Most recently I have a bunch of mollies. And these are true albinos with the red eyes and all.

What happened? Inbreeding. Usually, the first to go on the menu are the males. In this particular case, all but one of the males were fed and the others (older two) died off. Now, from black mollies I'm seeing albino fry. And they stick out like sore thumbs in the rearing tank. I would imagine that these fish have a genetic "flaw" that would be bad if it continued. So what did nature do? Make these fish feeding flashlights to be picked off my the nearest predator.

My convicts are having the same result. And being cichlids, they don't spark the same feeding frenzy as a molly would. I've seen a normal colored .25 inch convict survive in a predator tank for weeks. Where as an albino of double the size would be devoured in a moment.

This is just my observation. But let this be a lesson to you too. Inbreeding IS not too healthy for you either.

My two cents.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Thats why albinos are selectively bred and not naturally selected to survive! Gotta love evolution!

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
RadleyMiller;529044; said:
Thats why albinos are selectively bred and not naturally selected to survive! Gotta love evolution!
:iagree:
Albinos in nature are the first to go because they lack the pigment for camoflauge. That's why the Albino went first before the normal colored one. It's kind of a target IMO.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Incest: the game the whole family can play.

Albinoism is caused by a recessive gene, not inbreeding. If the gene is not there, no amount of inbreeding will cause albinoism. The gene must be present in both parents for the offspring to be albino. Additionally, the offspring must receive the recessive gene from both parents. If an albino gene is received from one parent and normal colorization from the other, there is absolutely zero chance of that offspring being albino. If two of these offspring are bred, then 25% of the offspring will be albino, 50% will carry the gene but will be normally colored, and 25% will be normally colored and not carry the gene.

If it is known that the gene is present, inbreeding is just a tool to refine the gene to cause albinoism. If the gene is not present, you will just end up with retarded offspring. :naughty:

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
I agree Chompers. I believe there are all sorts of coded flaws, but that's exactly my point. If your parents give you and your sibling the recessive gene "blue-tongue", it will remain recessive as long as you don't multiply that factor by reproducing with your sibling. I don't think I'm stating any new scientific fact, but this was just some Biology 101 coming to real life in my own home.

The gene is there, I believe, in most fish. That or other genes that will cause deadly effects. But my point is that albino genes and other genes are there to keep inbreeding down.

And I agree Chompers again.... Incest IS a family GAME! Hmm...

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Tanyoberu;528970; said:
We've all seen them in the hobby. The albino version of the same type of fish we love. Well by observing my fish, I theorize that albinos are nature's way of saying, "don't do that!" In "that" I mean inbreeding.

I have two tanks filled with pet/feeders in the form of Convicts and Mollies. I have the pleasure of seeing generation after generation born and reproducing. But now, after the 3rd generation, I'm seeing more and more albinos. Most recently I have a bunch of mollies. And these are true albinos with the red eyes and all.

What happened? Inbreeding. Usually, the first to go on the menu are the males. In this particular case, all but one of the males were fed and the others (older two) died off. Now, from black mollies I'm seeing albino fry. And they stick out like sore thumbs in the rearing tank. I would imagine that these fish have a genetic "flaw" that would be bad if it continued. So what did nature do? Make these fish feeding flashlights to be picked off my the nearest predator.

My convicts are having the same result. And being cichlids, they don't spark the same feeding frenzy as a molly would. I've seen a normal colored .25 inch convict survive in a predator tank for weeks. Where as an albino of double the size would be devoured in a moment.

This is just my observation. But let this be a lesson to you too. Inbreeding IS not too healthy for you either.

My two cents.
do you know what inbreeding really is?

check it out:

Inbreeding is breeding between close relatives, whether it be plant or animal. If practiced repeatedly, it often leads to a reduction in genetic diversity, and the increased expression of negative recessive traits, resulting in inbreeding depression. This may result in inbred individuals exhibiting reduced health and fitness and lower levels of fertility.
so this is not the case here :)

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
DeLgAdO;529397; said:

check it out:

Nah. It is quite the case here. My fish are on their 4th generation now. And the male and females are of the same of the same of the same. I don't know how else to define inbreeding in this case.

My initial post was from observing the ratio of albinos being born. In this most recent batch over 50% of them are albinos. Where as I've only seen 1 or 2 previously.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
DeLgAdO;529397; said:

check it out:

Delgado, what makes you say that this isnt the case?

Do you know what inbreeding really is?

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
www.myspace.com
vanimate;529422; said:
Delgado, what makes you say that this isnt the case?

Do you know what inbreeding really is?
his albino are still healthy, jsut that the ressessive trait for albinoism has surfaced

I think once theyre health starts going down hill then i could say its because inbreeding

but seeing as they are a tank full of mollies inbreeding is well on its way unless it is controlled (ie- not letting sibling mate)

breed the orginial parents

and feed the offspring:D

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
www.myspace.com
Tanyoberu;529420; said:
Nah. It is quite the case here. My fish are on their 4th generation now. And the male and females are of the same of the same of the same. I don't know how else to define inbreeding in this case.

My initial post was from observing the ratio of albinos being born. In this most recent batch over 50% of them are albinos. Where as I've only seen 1 or 2 previously.
you are right

but thats just the trait for albinos

jsut dont let them inbred to the point where you get fish with crappy health and infertility, you want quality feeders here :naughty:

im in bio 101, genetics is intersting stuff, though still having trouble wit teh punat squares :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store