Datniodes Pulcher or Microlepsis

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Face it. It is not just the art of bar counting on these fish. I have a total of 10 different datniodes excluding the NGT, I have all. I have a 9" Pulcher, and 9" Microlepsis. Notice that I refer to these fish as their classification instead of their "common" names because, you will never believe it, I have a puclher that has a striping of a microplepsis. I say this because I noticed a differentiation between the two. Some say spine counting, but I find that difficult to do without taking the fish out of the water fo so many seconds you have to count the spines. When harold at Rare Aqua pointed out some variations of the pulcher, and the body shape, I started to observe what he meant. Sure enough I think I've obtained enough specimens to differentiate. I noticed that the angle of the head shape of the pulcher appears to be incline of about 90 degrees, and the microlepsis shows more to about 80 degrees. The body shape of the pulcher definitely shows a taller shape than the microlepsis...Even though I bought some "widebars" but further observation were actually microlepsis. However, the "bars" appear more consistent of the pulcher bars. I will put some pictures up later when get a chance to get to the home computer. Right now I am on a laptop and a wireless piggyback to someone else's unsecured connection. TEEHEE....

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
LOL...they sure do....I don't know how they come out like that in the photo. Probably like "red eye" for humans, and cludy eyes for dats...NOT sure, but believe me, my water is changed each week for these guys....50 to 75% once a week...

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
Guys,

here is a thread that will definately help you all to differeniate between Indo Tigers and Siamese Tigers.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151443

(plse dont see this as i am spaming to intro another forum for u guys to join, instead this is useful information which i feel should be shared.)

vince, by the way, your 1st pic is an IT, the rest are ST. coz of their body shape. IT body shape are longer, rectangular, where else ST has a shorter shaper shape, like a triangle.

another way is to identify them by the strip marking just before the tail. But many times some STs do have IT tail strip markings.
At the end of the day, when u get exposed to more quantity of this fishes, you will be able to differenciate by a look.

cheers.

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
btw, i got some Siamese tigers (are their scientific name, Datnioides Microlepis?) myself inside my another gallery)

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/zhuangsw/

go to page 2 of that link, and click on the siamese tiger update thumbnail folder.
they are all STs, and there is one patchy st that is also a st, but some people over here in sg, call them rejected defects from the farms where else some keep them coz they are different and unique. I have one of those patchy st though (picture name st3 in that folder)..

enjoys, and do give comments. thanks.

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Since we are talking about tigers, I have a question...My tiger is rarely in full color...I have had him/her for several years now. It used to be fine. now its a black color. Any ideas as to why it would be acting like this?
Jen
BTW...Beautiful Tigs

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
jenBLKAROWANA said:
Since we are talking about tigers, I have a question...My tiger is rarely in full color...I have had him/her for several years now. It used to be fine. now its a black color. Any ideas as to why it would be acting like this?
Jen
BTW...Beautiful Tigs
it was fine for how long?

some tigeres no matter what u do will never be stable, its in their genes. I had one like that, no matter what i do, all the rest of the tigers in the tank were already very stable, but that guy was hidind and strip colors always faded. I fed up and sold him off cheap. :grinno:

thats why my advice when chosing tigers from the lfs, is buy those that are really stable in the tank. showing golden and black strips and swiming actively, these are the guys that will be always stable no matter what, my 1st st is one of them, i had him since last year and have never seen him change dark or black or unstable colors before.

but sometimes, stable st will turn unstable due to some factors, esp stress. in the form of it is getting bullied badly by other tankmates, or the water is quality is bad. And also, they prefer to live in softer, lower ph water. about 6.something..

hope i help. =)

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well, when I got him, he was about 4" long, now he is about 16". He eats like a pig, and his tank mate is an Oscar, a little smaller than him now...They seem to be "in love" with each other...lol...The Tiger sits by the Oscar ALL the time, I also have a couple of poly palmus in there with him...They are in a 90 gal tank...They were in a 125 with a blk aro, he was being a big bully to the both of them...Thats when we decided to get the 90...So he just may stay like that? That kind of sucks! But I will check the water...
Jen

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
jenBLKAROWANA said:
Well, when I got him, he was about 4" long, now he is about 16". He eats like a pig, and his tank mate is an Oscar, a little smaller than him now...They seem to be "in love" with each other...lol...The Tiger sits by the Oscar ALL the time, I also have a couple of poly palmus in there with him...They are in a 90 gal tank...They were in a 125 with a blk aro, he was being a big bully to the both of them...Thats when we decided to get the 90...So he just may stay like that? That kind of sucks! But I will check the water...
Jen
is he like really black now?

yap, could be stressed out by the aro the other time. it it should go off soon.
btw, the way u describe his relationship witht he oscar is so sweet, hope they mate or something. haha

during the period when he was 4" to 16", was he stable? and how long did it take to grow from 4" to 16"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store