New tanganyikan spiny !

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
My first spiny eel for many years. I went for a tanganyikan spiny, "he" is about 9" currently. My water is very hard and alkaline so he should be fine in it. Ideally I wanted a fire eel, but just felt my tank wasn't big enough in the end. It's a 5x2x2 with a sev, an angel, a pair of G.steindachneri, and a few smaller odds and bits.
Have tried him on all sorts of bloodworms, krill, mussels etc. However, his favourite is ...... NLS pellets !!! Good job there ! It's going to make feeding him so much easier.
He's so full of character. Very pleased with him.
Here he is .....

Willliam.jpg

Willliam 2.jpg

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Fantastic!

Look like an M elipsifer. I have one that is about 8". They are awesome fish.

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
Blue2Fyre;5072598; said:
Fantastic!

Look like an M elipsifer. I have one that is about 8". They are awesome fish.

Cool, yes, I thought it was M.elipsifer with it's gorgous leopard spots.

What's the growth been like with yours ?

Typical profiles for the species say a max size of about 45cm. Does anyone think this is achievable in an aquarium ?

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
He's been growing pretty slow. But everything from that lake seems to grow slow. I've had him since he was 5 inches and I got him last July. Once he hit 8inches he slowed down and has been filling out. I have heard of 18" elipsifers so I believe it is possible in the aquarium.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm not sure about the lake spineys.. but my experiances w/ fires, tire tracks, M dayii, peacocks and zig zags has been the food makes a huge impact on size.. bloodworms alone aren't enough to sustain proper growth rates. live black worms and nightcrawlers ime have been the best foods to put length on spineys. so the NLS should really encourage a good growth rate. the african lake species may also have a more specialized diet like the cichlids in the lakes do as well. none the less very nice spiney. These guys are on my list of species I hope to have down the road.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store