Cost of maintaining a 1000 gallon reef aquarium

slacker11201

Feeder Fish
Apr 24, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Hey, I'm just wondering what the cost of maintaining a 1000 gallon reef aquarium? Not the price of all of the equipment and tanks.

I mean like, chemicals? test kits? salt mix? what kinda hit on your power bill is that?

How do you do what changes on a large tank like that? do you do what changes as you would on a 200 gallon tank?

If anyone has pictures of their setups?

Also does anyone know where you can buy a 1000 gallon tank in Canada? or is this something that has to be built?

Thanks for your input guys,

Tyler.

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
Depending on what you plan on keeping will determine the amount of chemicals needed. Many people will say you don't need to dose any chemicals if you keep up on regular water changes. If not, figure about $15-20 bucks per bottle of whatever. Usually good for 100g, so.....
With a 1000g tank, 20 percent change, you're looking at 200g water changes - minimum. Considering a bag of salt at say $15 will cover 50g, figure $60 in salt per water change. You can get 5g buckets of salt for a bit cheaper.
When I was running my 90g, electrical was costing about $100 per month. With 1000g, you're probably looking at least 2x the equipment I had running (heaters, powerheads, skimmers, lights, etc), so I would guess at least $200 per month for electricity - again, minimum.
As far as finding a 1000g tank, you're probably going to have to get one custom made, which won't be cheap.
Anyway, lot of money and thought to take into consideration.
Good luck!

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
This would have to be a custom tank for starters and I guarantee you, you would be running 70+ dollars a month for heating/lighting etc. And you would have to set it up on a drip system. A 1000 gallon reef aquarium if a massive undertaking and shouldn't be attempted without a ton of experience and knowledge.

Reactions: Jacob92677

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. ;)

Seriously, it would be a lot of money. A really nice 100 gallon reef is expensive, the livestock alone can easily reach into quadruple digit figures.

Reactions: dr exum

Younglin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
34-24-36
Seriously, it would be a lot of money. A really nice 100 gallon reef is expensive, the livestock alone can easily reach into quadruple digit figures.
Very true. The cost would be ridiculous.

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
There is a local reef store in my area that sells nothing but reef fish tanks and all the gizomos need to run them and they had a 300 gallon glass fish tanks and a 1200 gallon fish tank.

The 1200 gallon all glass fish tank was about five to six feet tall and at least over 12 feet long it was very impressive but to by the glass fish tank bran new it would cost $30,000 dollars US. The new 300 gallon glass tank was $1800. And the owner said to me that he really doesn't charge much on the fish tanks but he makes the bulk of his money on carrying out repairs and manticence on the salt water fish tanks he's sold and on the equtment and fish he has sold. I was shocked to see a loin fish that had been sold for $200 dollars.

I do have plans of building a 1000 gallon tank but I plan on using cinder blocks and cement and one viewing window in the side of it.

erk419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio
If you can afford the initial setup cost then the montly maintance/power costs shouldl not be an issue.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

PSU21Reef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
pennsylvania
Its gonna depend on the type of lighting and what type of coral you will be keeping to begin with. You will have to dose things like cal, alk, mag, and the amount you dose will depend on what corals you have and how big they are. The type and amount of powerheads you will need will also depend on your coral. SPS will need the most flow, lighting, and additives, which will also make it the most expensive to keep. There are just too many variables to get anywhere near a realistic guess. Like they said, if you can afford to set it up and fill it with rock and coral, you'll be able to afford the cost of maintaining it.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
If you have to ask the price of a 1,000 gallon reef tank, you can't afford it.

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
1000g would be nice, but with tank that size you would want to pay someone to maintain it... It would take whole day just to change the water and clean the glass and all. My friend has 450 saltwater fish only and pays $140 every 2 weeks for someone to come change the water(75g) and clean to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store