Gar disease & treatment discussion thread

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
I believe this will make for a good sticky, do add PICTURES (that you have rights to), DISEASE PROFILES, TREATMENT PROCEDURES or REFERENCES of good treatment procedures!!

if it's good, we'll add it to the sticky!!

[CLICK HERE FOR STICKY THREAD]

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Do not use PimaFix. This goes for any airbreathers. Melafix in 1/2 doses I've found works well though to clear up minor infections/split fins, minor wounds in general. That clean water alone doesn't fix. But should still be used with caution.

Prazi-pro is my wormer of choice, and one I use every 6 monthes to 1 yr on any of my tanks includeing my Gar as a preventative against IP.

tbh otherwise my Gar are my healthiest least likely to get sick fish.

Ryan red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2010
Singapore
not sure is it a disease on gar.

Have this Cuban Gar kept in sump tank and some how it became S shape when it reach 7"..

now in tub box with heater 33 C and shallow water for two day.

hope it could recover soon.:cry:

pic attach.

S shape Cuban Gar.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
hope the cuban recovers. does it have control over it's fins? can it move/swim/eat well?

Ryan red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2010
Singapore
xander;5143019; said:
hope the cuban recovers. does it have control over it's fins? can it move/swim/eat well?
it cant..infact the body over turn and float... still can move but not eating.. now on medic as attach...

medicine.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
is the cuban suffering from a broken back? if so, the medication will not help.

very sorry about your fish man...it always sucks to have this happen to any gar (esp a rare one)...but if the fish can't swim independently you might want to consider putting it down.

Ryan red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2010
Singapore
xander;5143053; said:
is the cuban suffering from a broken back? if so, the medication will not help.

very sorry about your fish man...it always sucks to have this happen to any gar (esp a rare one)...but if the fish can't swim independently you might want to consider putting it down.

when bought it abt 4" to 5" and very active. being keep in sump till 7"...
someday cos no light in sump and sudden dash to glass walll..

any other possibility causing that?? (eg. genetic, internal illness..) trying to find out.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
looks like damage to the back, probably from fast-start into the wall of the sump. gars are much more susceptible to this sort of damage when young, but seem to be able to recover better as well.

unfortunately YOY CBGs are very skittish...even moreso than most other gar species. even with those that feed or try to feed, this level of damage does not seem like something they recover from. i believe it can also be tied with malnutrition and also chemical issues in the water, but these more or less exacerbate or increase susceptibility to the broken back/damaged back, which is the primary issue.

with Cubans we have just had to put down fish that ended up like this unfortunately, as their skittish nature only tends to make the condition worse. if you would like to try and save the fish i would recommend keeping it in a shallow amount of water and see if it will eat. keeping it in the sump with no light probably made it a bit more skittish as well.

sorry for your luck, they are great but sensitive fish--
--solomon

Samcgtan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Singapore
Just read the post on Lymphocystis by Xander.
Question: What's the cause of this and any way to prevent this viral infection? Is it deadly? Is this a common gar disease or general fishes?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe lymphocystis is a viral disease, meaning it has to be introduced into the tank from outside sources such as new fishes or feeders. So to take precautions, quarantine all fishes before introducing them to your tank. They are one of the most common diseases that occur throughout lots of aquarium fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store