Tank Pricing

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
Someone in the area has a brand new 225 acrylic tank (5x3x2) for sale for 1k. What do you guys think ? I'm tempted, but the fact that doesn't come with a stand is a turn off.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
not a great deal, but from years of sales experience, its not what you pay, but what its worth to you. if you really like it and feel its worth a grand, its a good deal. just build a stand it wont be tough

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
too expensive imo

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
xenia;5089938; said:
i wouldnt that is too expensive if it doesnt come with a stand or canopy is it used ?
tanks is brand new made by Precision, with dual external overflows (on the back)
tank only, no stand, no canopy

brich999;5090020; said:
if you really like it and feel its worth a grand, its a good deal. just build a stand it wont be tough
that's kind of my thought but I really don't feel like starting a DIY project (stand) .
If I'll get it the tank will go in the living room so the fact that is brand new definitely helps.

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
Have you priced out a new acrylic tank from other manufacturers? I'd base my decision on that. For example, if a brand new tank, same dimensions, cost $1800, then I'd say it's a good deal. It all depends what the cost to order one yourself is.

piranhalova666

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Illi
you could wait it out and keep checking craigslist...but if you have been searching for months and this is the best deal and you feel that you would be okay paying that price, then go for it...and stands are not to difficult to build...once you build one you will be hooked on building them

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
I just noticed this thread got more replies

Chromobotia;5091669; said:
Have you priced out a new acrylic tank from other manufacturers? I'd base my decision on that. For example, if a brand new tank, same dimensions, cost $1800, then I'd say it's a good deal. It all depends what the cost to order one yourself is.
I actually priced a 6x3x2 (a foot longer) and came around 1700 shipped (without any overflows)

piranhalova666;5091713; said:
you could wait it out and keep checking craigslist...but if you have been searching for months and this is the best deal and you feel that you would be okay paying that price, then go for it...and stands are not to difficult to build...once you build one you will be hooked on building them
I checked CL for the past 7 month ....it was impossible to find an acrylic wider than 2' and under 8' in lenght. Also the tank will be going in the living room and most of the ones sold on CL are kind of beat up.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
general rule is $2 per gallon acrylic $1 per gallon glass. But as the tank gets larger ( and more custom ) that rule becomes less effective. If you are in love with the dimensions go for it, if you would like something longer let it go IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store