The Lungfish Identification Thread

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Please use this thread for posting any pictures of lungfishes that you want to be identified (species and/or subspecies, if applicable).

We can make this thread into the "go-to" thread for identifying lungfishes in order to cut down on the other ID threads while provided a compilation of pictures of previously identified lungfishes to assist other members with identifying their lungfishes.

Now let's ID some lungfishes!

pola

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Rio de Janeiro
Please guys, ID this lungfish
annectens IMO but a great friend of mine thing it is an aethiopicus :)

[YT]g4jnmTnnQto[/YT]

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Please guys, ID this lungfish
annectens IMO but a great friend of mine thing it is an aethiopicus :)

[YT]g4jnmTnnQto[/YT]
Kinda hard to ID but I would say it looks like protopterus annectens breani. Judging from the patterns.

pola

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Rio de Janeiro
It is my guess too, and the proto in video is not mine but i have one with the same paterns ... but IMO it is not an aethiopicus, but is a very nice annectens

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Without locality info, the best I can say is that it's a Protopterus annectens ssp. with it most likely being a P. a. annectens rather than P. a. brieni since the former accounts for at least 95% of the West African lungfishes in the fish trade while the latter is much harder to find.

One thing that is for sure is that it is definitely not a P. aethiopicus ssp. or any other species besides P. annectens!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
It's best to update us when it gets to 18"+ as annectens changes color base and patterns as it grows. If it looses the patterns on the belly, then yeah it would be p. annectens annectens. If patterns remains the same and still on the belly, then leaning toward p. annectens breini.

As for lungfish WC import/export. Congo and Nigeria are common in the trade. P. annectens breini have been in many export but not many can recognize them as all fish are just labeled as p. annectens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store