"asian gar" question

Ambervikings91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Tatooine
so i purchased an asian gar (xenentodon cancila is its real not, its not actually a gar) and the next day after purchasing him i put a whole slew of guppies in there for him and some of the other tank mates, the guppies have been in there for a day and to the best of what ive seen he has totally ignored them, they have literally swam right by his mouth and he hasn't eaten them, should i be concerned do you think? its probably about 6 inches long so i know he has the ability to eat them

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Ambervikings91;5108407; said:
so i purchased an asian gar (xenentodon cancila is its real not, its not actually a gar) and the next day after purchasing him i put a whole slew of guppies in there for him and some of the other tank mates, the guppies have been in there for a day and to the best of what ive seen he has totally ignored them, they have literally swam right by his mouth and he hasn't eaten them, should i be concerned do you think? its probably about 6 inches long so i know he has the ability to eat them
in just applying standard predatory fishkeeping to this scenario, i would say don't worry...takes some fishes even weeks to settle in, and often at least a week before they start eating.
check your water parameters and make sure ammo and nitrite are zero, other than that just give the fish time. you may also want to turn off the tank lights for a few days and also note if any tankmates are bothering the fish. good luck--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
x2 also note.. these are schooling fish. so more tie may be needed to settle in then general.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store