Cuttle Bone dosage for Gold Mystery Snails

eugeneT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
Tennesse
Ok quick question, I have a total of 4 mystery snails. Two are in my 29 gallon community tank and the other 2 are currently in a 1 gallon. The 1 gallon is a bit too small, but to compensate I'm doing a 50% WC every other day. I read that Cuttle Bone for birds was a good additive for making their shells stay strong and healthy. So this morning before I left work, I picked up some. Its .5 oz (14g) and consists of between 31 and 36% calcium. I need to know the best way to add it to the water and how much I should add at a time. Also will the calcium be taken out of the water faster in the 29 gallon because of the charcoal in my filter? Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Peace :headbang2

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Never thought of a dosage for my giant Cana snails. I just place a whole cuttle bone in each snail tank and replace it when it's dissolved. I also have substrates with aragonite (calcium carbonate) in their tanks.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
i was never satisfied with the cuttlebone idea. i used crushed coral for substrate and it did a great job. you can just add some crushed coral to your filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store