Fish Food Summary

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I occasionally will see threads regarding fish food. A friend of mine in the industry prepared the attached using the food labels of the various fish foods. I can't explain the rationale behind labeling one ingredient "bad" and the other "ugly"...but there it is...open for discussion.

http://www.aquamojo.com/misc/FeedingCichlids2.pdf

Hope it generates some discussion. It came to mind when I was in my freezer in the fishroom. I don't think I will ever have to buy food again. LOL I forgot all about that stash...like three kilos of frozen krill. :)

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
So does this means that Extreme Aquatic foods are healthier than Hikori Gold and NLS?

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I look for fish food that contains whole fish or whitefish meal as the main ingredient.... Most of the pet food on the market lists "Fish Meal", which is from left over parts and scraps not fit for human consumption..

I stay away from processed foods with a high concentration of soybean meal as its an incomplete protein and in my opinion can lead to bloat.

http://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/resourcesforyou/ucm047113.htm

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Cichlidfever;5111101; said:
So does this means that Extreme Aquatic foods are healthier than Hikori Gold and NLS?
That depends on what you think of the ingredients listed as bad and ugly. As I said, I don't fully understand the relevance. At best it provides some information at a glance where you can draw your own conclusions. I've made mine based on what I read and experience with the products.

Mr. Pleco...great link. Thx.

Somethingfishyinc.net

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
www.Somethingfishyinc.net
White fish meal usually is the worse ingredient being that it is the just the bones of the fish & nothing else. Also high in ash content. Can help increase algae blooms. I Have a friend that was a nutritiousness for a fisheries & broke down fish foods etc. at a local club meeting one time & learned a lot!
Did not read your link yet.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Somethingfishyinc.net;5111161; said:
White fish meal usually is the worse ingredient being that it is the just the bones of the fish & nothing else. Also high in ash content. Can help increase algae blooms. I Have a friend that was a nutritiousness for a fisheries & broke down fish foods etc. at a local club meeting one time & learned a lot!
Did not read your link yet.
Any links so that I could read?
Maybe what I read isn't accurate or the definitions of what constitutes "fishmeal" "whole fishmeal", "white fish meal" are so broad??

heres an article I've read, seems they don't differentiate fishmeal types into those three catergories:

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/200/the-benefits-of-fish-meal-in-aquaculture-diets

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Interesting read. For every good thing that I learn about a fish food, I learn another bad thing about it. I haven't tried all of the brands that are listed but the two that I use as staple foods are on there. I'm going to stick with the current foods that I am using because I have good results with them. A few others from the list will be worth a try though.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
IMO, really not a useful document, and is actually pretty misleading. Listing only the first three ingredients is not helpful. You can list 8 different fish as the first ingredients, but that doesn't mean that product has "more" fish in it--and are those dry weight or wet weight? They still have protein percentages, and even those are misleading. Every pellet or flake uses some sort of binder to bind the proteins together, even though it may be listed further down the ingredient list, it could actually be MORE depending on how a company has decided to list and weigh their ingredients.
Also, no mention of things like ash content, the digestibility of the protein used, artificial colors or flavorings (Hikari is well known for putting MSG in their food), etc etc...

Thank you for posting it though Mojo, it should open up some interesting discussion on how labels themselves can even be misleading.

HrHagel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
Denmark
IMO, really not a useful document, and is actually pretty misleading. Listing only the first three ingredients is not helpful. You can list 8 different fish as the first ingredients, but that doesn't mean that product has "more" fish in it--and are those dry weight or wet weight? They still have protein percentages, and even those are misleading. Every pellet or flake uses some sort of binder to bind the proteins together, even though it may be listed further down the ingredient list, it could actually be MORE depending on how a company has decided to list and weigh their ingredients.
Also, no mention of things like ash content, the digestibility of the protein used, artificial colors or flavorings (Hikari is well known for putting MSG in their food), etc etc...

Thank you for posting it though Mojo, it should open up some interesting discussion on how labels themselves can even be misleading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store