Possible peacock bass tank mates?

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I bought 2 peacock bass recently I planned on putting in with my oscars and other large cichlids when they got big enough. I saw on the lessons learned thread here someone said you couldn't keep them together because he tried and his peacock basses head disappeared. I had been worried about that happening because I tried putting a largememouth bass with my cichlids and one of the oscars killed it in a day. I was wondering if it would work or what some suggested tank mates are. Thanks.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
All depends on the personality of your cichlids. I personally wouldnt put them together unless the cichla were the same size or larger than the cichlids, and even then i would watch closely. Some possible tank mates I'd recommend are arowana, silver dollars, tin foil barbs, and of course other similarly sized cichla

situs

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2011
Singapore
The best tankmate of PB is silver arowana but must be bigger than PBs. Your tank will look lively and majestic

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Oscars will work.....many have done it. But as stated, the bass have gotta be bigger or about the same size for it to work.

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Right now with my bass I have silver dollars and a stingray, I'm also tossing around the idea of an arowana. If you look in the media lounge there are lots of pix of people's cichla as well as the fish they keep with them. Normally you don't want something territorial, although cichla get big they don't have the attitude like that of a big CA/SA cichlid (normally they don't). Basically you want to have tankmates too big to fit in your bass' mouth, but have a similar demeanor...datnioides, gars, arowana, bichirs, rays, larger characins (silver dollars), tinfoils, that should give you some options.

Houdini89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
North Jersey
Blood Parrots, and they eat all the left over food scraps....Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store