Octopus Part Two: Got a Tank!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Ok guys I got a tank. It aint much but I figure it would be better down the road for a general SW tank after the octopus. Its an 8g biocube.

The tank is used and the problem is, its filled with red algae, in the filter, sand, on the LR, everywhere. I know this crap is bad. Im gonna scrap all of the filter media but I would like to clean it off the LR and out of the sand if possible. What is the best way to go about this?

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
The tank is not set up yet so no pics.

As far as the algea/bacteria, Im not sure what kind it is. I know its that kind you see in crappy LFS. Its kind of a reddish brown color. Luckily the bioballs look good with not anything nasty growing on them. I would like to save the LR and LS if I can, Im going to scrub the LR with a tooth brush as a temporary clean but not sure how to approach the sand right now.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
the red algae is from lack of flow and high nitrates and phosphates. Scrap the sand as it is holding nasty stuff anyhow and just clean the rocks but keep them wet so the BB doesnt die off. Higher flow and clean water and the red slime algae wont be an issue.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I would just wash the sand and the rock in FW...you are losing less than you are gaining by doing so. Tear down the whole thing and give it a good clean. You are just going to have to really stay on top of h2o quality while it cycles.

Glad to hear we finally have a tank, even if it is only 3g bigger than the bucket. :D

mastadon

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2009
Ebensburg PA
really nice puss ya got im FW all the way for now but dream of SW some days with my last 30 gallon i wanted to go SW but found a nice freshwater pufferfish and went that way

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
how big of a tank do you need to house an octopus like you have bro that is amazing. I have tanks laying around and would love one of those guys;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store