Something is wrong with my flower

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Not sure what is going on. I have had my flower for about 16 months. Been in captivity for 2 years or so.He has always been a pig and a huge eater. I noticed yesterday during feeding he acted aggressive and tried to eat but seemed he never actually got anything down. I noticed after feeding he was getting a little bit skinny.Today just fed and same thing, jumped on food and chewed and then swam over the food???? Something is not right!
I saw him eat a small piece of smelt and a tiny bit of earthworm (enough for a newborn pup).

I saw his mouth as he swam on the side of the glass and he pinned a piece of smelt and chewed for a while and atleast got it down. I see no stinger or anything lodged in his mouth. I noticed that is spiracles look a little weird (see video) but is breathing normal.
Only change is it is getting warm here and the temp rose from 78-80 to 84

Any suggestions??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKevMkjGbqI

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Anxious to hear what people have to say here not that Knowlagable on the rays here But if that fish was a pbass i would be treating the tank with Prazi figuring that there was somme type of parisite......

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
I should add even though it's been in captivity for two years and tank had been clear that is still my first thought that a parisite is rearing it's ugly head...

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
with the huge bio load in the tank i would check ph first

my rays will chew on food more then usual when my ph starts to drop

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I might have pushed the limits too far. I was dripping 4gph in this tank. I moved 2 of the leo's out yesterday to see if it would help. I am dripping now about 3gph.
No other rays seemed bothered.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
It's been a while since I checked my ph. Need to pick up another test kit.
Was around 8 last I checked several months ago. Might have dropped, should be improving since I removed 2 - 7" rays

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Find out your PH, double test them. I know you're on well water so your PH may be on the high side....it may be okay but it may bother them.

Your other rays are likely to be affected as well, but the flower will show signs first.

Do you know your regular PH ?

stan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store