PH shock vs Tds Shock

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
I think this deserves a new thread.
To me we are splitting threads about this topic. I totally agree that osmatic shock is the overlaying problem. but from what I'm reading is that ph is a better indicator trhan tds. I'm the guy that puts out a theory and lives to challenge it so I will be more than humble on being proven wrong .

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
I can add Baking Soda to my tanks, raise the pH from 6 or less to 7 or more, and none of my fish appear to even notice. In the past I accidentally dropped the pH in a discus breeding tank by over 2 points, then raised it back up (I was running a continuous pH monitor so I knew exactly what happened). The discus spawned a couple days later. This isn't "proof" by the scientific definition of the word but it's good enough for me.

The only inhabitants of my tanks that appear to care about the pH are the filter bacteria who slow down when the pH drops below 6.

IMO, people call it pH shock because they don't measure GH when fish are killed by a change in water params.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Scott - it would be much easier for me to explain this over the phone. :D

Osmoregulation has nothing to do with pH, and everything to do with controlling the balance of water/salt concentrations. pH has nothing to do with regards to if ones water is a hypertonic solution, hypotonic solution, or if it's isotonic. The shock part of the equation comes in when a fish has difficulty reaching equilibrium.

This might help...........

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleOsmosis.htm

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.ph...ce-on-Acclimating-and-Quarantining-New-Shrimp

http://www.mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2 pages/jacobsarticle2.htm

In your/our area the biggest issue with pH is ammonia toxicity, as at higher pH values as found here ammonia can be much more lethal, especially when higher temps are involved.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Thanks for the links Niel. I'll read then and see where I'm missing the point as the other link I posted seems to state it has more to do with ph than tds, but I could have read it wrong. I understand the shock and equalibrium part but must still be confused on the tds and ph part or the definition of ph??????????
lol, hopefully I'm not the only one still troubled by this and it can help others.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Okay, Pete when you are adding baking soda you would be increasing the tds levels which would effect the ph levels and I can see the connection there but if we add a acid to a high tds level water and it drops the ph does it effect the tds?

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Maybe a bit off topic but when ever i have imported rays it always seems a week or a few days after is when i notice and encounter difficulties .do you guys think it's a combo of both or maybe tds shock takes a few days to really mess with them.i still after 8 weeks have a ray suffering from something.from what i would love tobe able to correct it but something is slowing this one down from coming around

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I might be the wrong guy to chime in on this, but I'm a true believer in stable water vs jacking around to try and make the water parameters settle into a preset range.

I'll manage temp and that's about it. I've had FW rays breeding and thriving in what some would consider 'pure crap' for water. Remember what they are living in out in the wild. Systems tend to establish themselves and maintain themselves based on the build and bio load. Once it's stable, leave it alone.

michalm

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
MA
PeteLockwood;5124934; said:
I can add Baking Soda to my tanks, raise the pH from 6 or less to 7 or more, and none of my fish appear to even notice. In the past I accidentally dropped the pH in a discus breeding tank by over 2 points, then raised it back up (I was running a continuous pH monitor so I knew exactly what happened). The discus spawned a couple days later. This isn't "proof" by the scientific definition of the word but it's good enough for me.

The only inhabitants of my tanks that appear to care about the pH are the filter bacteria who slow down when the pH drops below 6.

IMO, people call it pH shock because they don't measure GH when fish are killed by a change in water params.
One time I make a mistake measuring quantity of baking soda to my tank, a put couple more than I should. PH was 6, after more than 8...

My Rays and my Black Arowana where fine.

michalm

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
MA
Zoodiver;5128739; said:
I might be the wrong guy to chime in on this, but I'm a true believer in stable water vs jacking around to try and make the water parameters settle into a preset range.

I'll manage temp and that's about it. I've had FW rays breeding and thriving in what some would consider 'pure crap' for water. Remember what they are living in out in the wild. Systems tend to establish themselves and maintain themselves based on the build and bio load. Once it's stable, leave it alone.
More and more experienced aquarists tell me exactly the same ;)

That why I remove my RO/DI Unit couple days ago and so far so good !

COOL MBU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2006
MICHIGAN
Zoodiver;5128739; said:

I have to agree with Zoodiver,because the best long term luck I've had with rays staying happy & healthy has been by finding a drip rate that fits my bio-load and tank size...AND LEAVING IT!

On my 600gal. I have been dripping between 4-5gph for about the last six months,this keeps my Nitrates between 20-30,and TDS at about 150 (TDS out of tap/112-120). I could probably even turn it down a bit and still have very healthy rays,but these levels have served me well,so that's where they stay.

I would constantly adjust the drip,always trying to attain a lower Nitrate,TDS,etc.... when it was'nt really that critical in the well-being of the fish...point being,just find a healthy level and maintain:}

(600 gal. stock:5 rays-12"to16" & 27" Black Aro)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store