My new 2600 gallon plywood tank project

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
No pictures yet because I know it drives you guys crazy not to have them.. :ROFL:

Might post some later today or tomorrow of where it's going etc. Just wanted to get the thread started with the details. The actual work won't start for another week still.

Total capactity: 2618 Gallon
Outside dimensions: 29' x 5' x 3' tall
Inside dimensions: 28' x 50" x 3' tall
(3) 8'x3'x1" acrylic viewing windows
2 gallons of Black pond armor
Pretty sure I am going with a bead filter on this tank and a Reeflo Hammerhead pump.

Will be built the exact same way as my 1500. Only chages to the structure will be the supports for the 3 sections of acyrlic and only 1 support structure under the middle of the tank instead 2.

Plumbing will be through a single 2" drain in an overflow type area that will allow for an area for my PEX heat coil since I will not be doing a sump on this one.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Ahhhhh, so the three viewing panels will be on one side. No room for a sump so your going with large canisters....... You should use two or more canisters and alternate back flowing/cleaning them so there's no issue with flushing and or killing the beneficial bacteria. Redundancy is nice too, just in case. Anyway, I'm sure you got that figured out and I love spending someone else's money :)

Okay the questions: I can see length is determined by the room but front to back at 5 feet? Why was 5 feet chosen? Is that a critical dimension for plywood or some other reason? I was thinking 4 feet front to back just because that is the width of a common sheet of plywood?

The 1500 tank: Did you disassemble that? If so, did you see issues structurally or age related, soft wood, mold, tiny leaking that went unnoticed and may have caused a problem if the tank was older. If you did see issues is there a fix for the new tank?

Acrylic instead of glass? Last tank was glass, why the change?

I have more but I don't want the mods to boot me......

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
:drool: :drool: :drool:

God would I love a basement.........................

Subscribed !

:popcorn:

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Egon;5128934; said:
Okay the questions: I can see length is determined by the room but front to back at 5 feet? Why was 5 feet chosen? Is that a critical dimension for plywood or some other reason? I was thinking 4 feet front to back just because that is the width of a common sheet of plywood?
Only factor here was to leave me room for a couch/chairs and a place to walk by in front of tank.. The stairs come down on the middle of the basement (landing at oposite end of basement) so there will be a small wall about 9' away from the tank.

Egon;5128934; said:
The 1500 tank: Did you disassemble that? If so, did you see issues structurally or age related, soft wood, mold, tiny leaking that went unnoticed and may have caused a problem if the tank was older. If you did see issues is there a fix for the new tank?
Nope that's still up and running. Hopefully I will not be taking it down when we sell the old place.

Egon;5128934; said:
Acrylic instead of glass? Last tank was glass, why the change?
Only reason was the cost. Would be like 3300 in glass, and acrylic is only 2100.

Egon;5128934; said:
I have more but I don't want the mods to boot me......
:grinno:

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Ah... so you’re going to build this thing then transfer all the fish to the new tank before you completely move out of the old house?

The last tank went up fast and you were not under any pressure. I bet this is going to be a quick build!
Just keep a camera nearby, when you stop to sip your beer snap a pic for us :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store