use caution when reintroducing driftwood

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
finally put my large piece of driftwood into my 100g a few weeks ago and few hours later the water turned an odd color (not the driftwood tinge) and my thinbar started swimming at the surface with his mouth above water. he as well as the rest of the fish are fine now and the driftwood removed. i did 25% water changes every other day over the course of week and all seems good now. Im thinking something might have got into the driftwood on the move to japan. so be careful if you ever have to transport driftwood or decor and are reintroducing it. i think it may have picked up some kind of chemical from the trash bag it was wrapped in for the move. im scared to use the wood now..lol.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
islander671;538382; said:
finally put my large piece of driftwood into my 100g a few weeks ago and few hours later the water turned an odd color (not the driftwood tinge) and my thinbar started swimming at the surface with his mouth above water. he as well as the rest of the fish are fine now and the driftwood removed. i did 25% water changes every other day over the course of week and all seems good now. Im thinking something might have got into the driftwood on the move to japan. so be careful if you ever have to transport driftwood or decor and are reintroducing it. i think it may have picked up some kind of chemical from the trash bag it was wrapped in for the move. im scared to use the wood now..lol.
could have been a biological contaminant as well

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I hate when my wood is contaminated.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
If you have doubts that your dw is safe, get a large barrel and soak it in hot water for a week or so. Drain the water, and repeat it. After two weeks of this, all the contaminates should be removed. If you are still concerned contiue the treatment for as long as you deem neccessary. Be sure to use as hot of water as possible initially though...;)

shadyks

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2008
nw Indiana
I would be careful using bleach! it might contaminate the aquarium... Just use boiling water. that will kill off everything.

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
I usually take water and boil it and then add into a big tub with my DW in it...Then I grab a very big lid and cover the tub and let the DW BURN! For at least an hour....
But I suggest doing it over time period of 1 week-2 week like Peanut_Power says.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store