flathead x channel

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I just read on a website that flatheads and channel catfish can hybridize. does anyone have any pics, or any info on this? I am interested to see one! If it exists I am interested to own one too lol.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Interesting, that would be a sweet hybrid I think. To my knowledge they aren't commonly available like the blue x channel catfish hybrids are which are commonly used for food purposes because they grow 1.5 times as fast as pure channels do so they make great stock fish for ponds and lakes. I don't believe flatheads taste as good as channels or blues which might explain why the hybrid isn't mass produced yet. However it would be a great fish for stocking for trophy stock ponds with Flatheads getting over 100lbs on record. Hopefully someone out there has some more info cus I'm interested now to ~Trent

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I am thinking about trying to keep some of the large north american catfishes too. Would love to raise a big blue or flathead. Seems to be hard to get ahold of them unless you catch them yourself.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
While I know that different catfish genus' can be hybridized (eg:RTCxTSN), I've never heard of a hybrid flathead (Pylodictis olivaris) and blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus). There are a bunch of farms producing blue cat x channel cat (Ictalurus punctatus) hybrids. Would you happen to have a link to where this hybridization of the flathead is occurring?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
It was reported on the florida fish and game site. I was looking at the catfish profiles they had and on the flathead it mentioned the hybrid. I should probably email them for more info. I was kinda curious when i read it so I wanted to see if anyone here had heard of it. i'll try to find the link and post it here.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I just emailed them to ask for more info and possible pics so I will hopefully get a response. I have email webistes in the past about info such as this and never recieved a response so keep your fingers crossed.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Here's the reply I got from the site. Read the article outlined here and it basically says they tried to mix four different species sperm with channel eggs and did so successfully with all four to include the flathead catfish.

Journal of Applied Aquaculture (ISSN: 1045-4438)
Volume: 3 Issue: 3/4

Early Growth and Morphology Among Hybrids of Ictalurid Catfishes
Page Range: 235 - 256
DOI: 10.1300/J028v03n03_03
Cheryl A. Goudie, Terrence R. Tiersch, Bill A. Simco, Kenneth B. Davis, Qinghua Liu

I also thought I remembered some research by Rex Dunham at Auburn University, but I didn't actually see that reference when I looked back at my notes (he did work with channel x blue). You may find it with a Google search or in one of the journal searches.
Good Luck and Good Fishing...

Bob Wattendorf
Marketing and Special Projects Coordinator/WebMaster
Freshwater Fisheries Management
620 South Meridian St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600

Phone: 850/488-0520
Fax: 850/413-0381
Mobile: 850/528-1060

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Good info, if you go for the large north american cats I would suggest the flathead because nobody's keeping them and they are really tough to find under 12". Back when I was going to do a native tank I searched and searched like you did for the planiceps to no avail and there were several other members looking for small flatheads also. You could probably catch a smallish blue cat fairly easily or order it from someone like minnesota muskie farm or someone similar that deals with stocking ponds. Honestly I would think you would be hard pressed to catch a flathead under 10lbs... if you do find someone with some babies....POST UP! ~Trent

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
my brother actually caught a flathead that weighed less than 2 lbs when I was at home in NC, but I wasn't with him and he decided that it would be ok to leave it overnight in a cooler full of water to give to me the next day. Needless to say the fish was dead along with a blue cat that was 9 inches, and two tiny channels. i was mad, but now I am over it. Looks like when i make the trip next year I'll have to try for one of my own. the catfish wasn't a complete waste, it is now a skeletal display like the marble catfish skeleton I did last year. I am also working on a rtc skeleton. I will post pics. I would love to see if I could raise a record sized flathead lol. Anyone know of growth hormones that are safe for fish? lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store