I thought gars were illegal in Cali

619aquaponics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hawaii
I remember seeing fish called "longnose" gars in my LFS. They were Florida gars though. I thought its illegal to own gars in Cali so if someone bought one would they have to get a permit. And yes they were true gars

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
just alligator gars are. what place did u see these?

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
wait florida gars are legal here, and my lfs had alligator gars but fish and game busted them

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
All true gars are illegal in California, plain and simple.

However, many LFS's and fish keepers in CA play it "Cali-Cool" and ignore these laws. These laws include Florida gars, spotted gars, shortnose gars, longnose gars, alligator gars, tropical gars, Cuban gars, and all of their hybrids, so it's alll species of gars, not just certain species.

I'm not quite sure as to how one would legally acquire one in CA, but a permit definitely would need to be acquired prior to purchasing any gars there if private citizens are even allowed to get said theoretical permits.

In the end, it's not worth the potential legal trouble to illegally purchase/trade/sell/own a gar in CA without first contacting the governing body (Fish & Game?) that determines and enforces the applicable laws.

Source: California Fish and Game Code

619aquaponics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hawaii
Gobrian44;5161178; said:
just alligator gars are. what place did u see these?
They had them in a while back (as in months) I haven't seen any at the store since. I'm not sure I wanna say which store it is I don't want to get anyone in trouble

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
619aquaponics;5161345; said:
They had them in a while back (as in months) I haven't seen any at the store since. I'm not sure I wanna say which store it is I don't want to get anyone in trouble
read the post by wiggles above. ALL GARS (members of Lepisosteidae) ARE ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
All true Gars are illegal in CA. Whether the shops been selling for months or years, it's their risk to when they are caught and fined.

rays_fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Hermosa Beach
sorry for the noob question ( new to gars ) , but whats considered to be a true gar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store