How long does the Blue Lobster Crayfish LIVE?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
My Lobster was given to me and they told me it was old.. I put it in my gold fish pond for the summer and it just thrived.. but i live in New York and winters are harsh so I bring all the gold fish into a pond in the basement for the winter ..when i brought the fish in i noticed i had two additional baby gold fish and the Crayfish was looking pretty good for an "Old Guy" but now that we are in a different setting with no insects added to his diet and natural things falling into the water i would like to keep him healthy and even though he is in with the gold fish try and feed him the extra's that he needs.. I would like some ideas of what to feed him that he would really go for and also would like an idea on how long they live.. thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Your blue lobster is most likely Procambarus alleni. These are omnivores that can subsist on the same diet as your goldfish. They could use a calcium supplement to replace chiton when they molt. They also need the addition of regular medicine-cabinet type iodine to aid in their molting. 2 drops per week would be fine and won't bother your goldfish in the least.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Oddball;541538; said:
Your blue lobster is most likely Procambarus alleni. These are omnivores that can subsist on the same diet as your goldfish. They could use a calcium supplement to replace chiton when they molt. They also need the addition of regular medicine-cabinet type iodine to aid in their molting. 2 drops per week would be fine and won't bother your goldfish in the least.
Thank you that is what i needed to know... and i appreciate your fast responce.. i did decide to put him in his own aquarium so i will be able to observe him better.. what should the water temp be for the crayfish.. The lady from the fish store told me he was 5 years old can i expect a few more years if he is well taken care of? thanks again!

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
Oddball;541538; said:

First; crushed oyster shell is a Great source of calcium.
2nd my husband and I import, raise,breed, and sell crayfish for a living and personally I would NEVER give my crays medicine-cabinet iodine. That is a substance made for man by man and it is totally un-needed IF you properly feed your crays. The best form of iodine is found naturally in food.Natural is always best. Feed your crays rotting veggies(peas works good). experiment with the type of veggies your cray likes and leave a small amount on the bottom to rott. Crayfish eat degenerative matter. Or just give it alge waffers.
Next; your crayfish needs a much higher protien content that your goldfish does. You need to find a sinking high protien fish food......

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I will post tommorrow a picture..and thank you..

RuXPiN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Steve Irwins Shadow
make sure to leave his molted shell in there, he needs to eat that to stay healthy

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Here is a picture of my "old Guy" he is suppose to be at least 5 years old according to the lady who owned the fish store that gave him to me.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Thank you.. i have no idea of what kind he is.. and that was his castle in there with him only he turned it on its side..he prefers it this way.. Is he called a Giant?? Thanks again..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store