New SA lungfish

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
I traded off some Vieja cichlids for a 3 ft SA lungfish that I had been eyeing at the LFS for a year now . My gf has named him Lungfellow Sr. for a year . The trade is fare and we're both very happy . I have a small 8 inch one that I've had since Sept. of 2010. This adult is a male as he has spiney/fuzzy hindlegs . I most likely won't bother getting a female since I am not aware of breeding in captive conditions .

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Nice pick-up! Pictures please!

As for breeding, it is possible to breed them in captivity; I believe that Oddball has done so many times before. If I remember correctly, it takes a decent-sized aquarium and proper conditioning to get them to breed. I'm pretty sure that you would also have to be very careful about how long you leave the pair together because they may kill each other if left together too long.

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
Thanks for the reply . I would love to talk to Oddball about how they achieve the breeding. It seems they enjoy 70 - 75 F water temps. Would a SAL be stressed in 80-83 F water temps ?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply . I would love to talk to Oddball about how they achieve the breeding. It seems they enjoy 70 - 75 F water temps. Would a SAL be stressed in 80-83 F water temps ?
I wouldn't go any higher than 82 degrees F, but 78-80 degrees F seems to work best in my experience.

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
What does TTIWWOP mean ?
I'm getting a small WAL this weekend so I'll post pictures of both SA lungifshes and the WAL this weekend . WAL have same diet as SAL ? my SAL seem to love algea waffers . What are some of WAL favorites to eat ? Will WAL sift through sand like SAL does ?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
What does TTIWWOP mean ?
I'm getting a small WAL this weekend so I'll post pictures of both SA lungifshes and the WAL this weekend . WAL have same diet as SAL ? my SAL seem to love algea waffers . What are some of WAL favorites to eat ? Will WAL sift through sand like SAL does ?
Yes, the WAL will eat the same diet as the SALs and will behave basically the same as the SALs, but it may be a bit more lazy than the SALs. Also, please don't mix try to mix them.

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
I def. wont mix two different species of lungfish that come from different contients . Although I've seen pictures of several small ( 3 - 4 inch ) SAL kept together . And I've seen on classifieds where vendors will sell lungfish and there are pictures of several adults housed together . As far as long term , I hear it just can not be done safely .

Bamboo_Turtles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
texas
Here are my lungfish photos .Top two is my new african lungfish I bought today . I am pretty sure the african lungfish is West African ? I'm under the impression WAL only get 27 inches ? The bottom three of course are my two lovely south american lungfishes .

african lungfish side view.JPG

african lungfish top view.JPG

Lungfellow Sr.JPG

lungfellow Jr 2.JPG

Lungfellow Jr.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store