It Might be too late for my Florida Gar...

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
I bought a little Florida gar a few months back at around 5 inches. He ate only live foods and I weaned him off and now he eats frozen, live and pellets. Now at 8 inches something happened between yesterday afternoon, when I got home he couldnt swim upright and was breathing heavy. His body shape was curved instead of straight. He had no signs of trauma. I check water params and my nitrates are at 0, PH.KH.GH are the way they always been. He shares his 150 with sevs, a columban ray, a black arowana. I am at a loss as to what happened. I love this little guy and this morning he is pale, still upside down and on the bottom of the hospital tank. I made a hammock like thing with silk aquarium plants hoping it will get him enough oxygen.

Does anyone know what could possibly be going on with him? I have a feeling when I get home from work he won't be alive.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
curved spine is a sign of trauma. Usually a broken back from hitting the aquarium wall.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Shouldn't be keeping a yoy gar in such a large tank. I'm guessing something scare it and it dash....
and crash into the wall of your aquarium

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
When i had him in a 55 he would crash into things, thats why I moved him to the 150. Ugh this sux! :(

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
When you say curved back do you mean a crude-looking angle like a bent/broken spine... or do you mean a drooping/slanting curve? Because the latter could mean water quality issues and is much more treatable.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Gars need to be stepped up in tank size. In the 55 he may have crashed into the walls but he could not build up speed. Now he can build up speed. Check you r water parameters though to be sure its a physical injury not another sort of problem.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
When you say curved back do you mean a crude-looking angle like a bent/broken spine... or do you mean a drooping/slanting curve? Because the latter could mean water quality issues and is much more treatable.
seeing as he has a ray (presumably still alive) in the tank, i'd go with broken back over ammonia. sev, black aro and 5" gar in a 150gal also hint toward broken back.

GinBlack

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2009
New York
The shape of the gar is like a slight "c" or horseshoe. I'm at work now but I'll take pics when I get home to show you. He is in a 20 gal now and is hanging in there. I just feel helpless watching him like that and not being able to do anything to help him. is there anything else I can do for him? Or should I euthaize him?
I tested the water params in the 150 again last night and no ammonia, nitrate.

smartlove_518

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
United Arab Emirates
make the water in the hospital tank to the level that it is just above his body..gars are air breathers...so keeping water low will help the gar breathe...bump the temp and add salt..little salt as the water is less. i hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store