Bringing a 1000 Gallon Tank To Life

greenlangtern

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Recently acquired a used acrylic tank that was once a display for an aquarium up in north east California. It's dimensions are 8 ft L x 4 ft W x 51 in H. Roughly 1000 gallons when all filled up but the placement of the over flow and considering the 1-inch loss around the tank due to the 1-inch acrylic will probably make it about 900 gallons at most. Been sitting in my garage for the past couple months and finally starting to put it all together.
img0437c.jpg
img0439ax.jpg
img0441ii.jpg

As you can see I have the stand built already and just shimmed the stand with an extra 2x4 and some 1 inch wood and some carpeting shims. I haven't had enough man power to put the tank on the stand yet so I'm stuck waiting for help from my neighbors.

Also the third pic is of a 8 ft L x 2 ft W x 3 ft H (359 Gallon) acrylic tank that I'm going to be selling soon. I would keep it but it's not my house and parents would not allow two large tanks running at once even if I made one coldwater.

I'm also planning to build a drip system, new filtration, lighting, and encasing the tank in an easy to put on/off polystyrene to cut back on heating costs.

Lost a lot of my fish stock recently due to a combination of power and filtration failures and am rebuilding my stock as well. Don't have too much money to spend so currently raising 2 x 12" + Temensis, 5 x 3"-6" mono/occel, 1x 4 " orino, 1 x 6 " Indo Dat, 1 x 4" RTC, 1 x 4" TSN, 1 x 6" TSN/RTC Hybrid. Planning to get a few more fish like an aro but need this setup because of all the space its taking up.

I'll try to keep pics posted as I progress.

img0437c.jpg

img0439ax.jpg

img0441ii.jpg

Ogre One

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2011
in your computer
Thats sick dude.
****ty on the lose of fish tho. Hope everything turns out well GOOD LUCK

greenlangtern

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Ha I just noticed my "fish" name is Jack Dempsey and I have pic up of Ippo from a boxing manga/anime series where he does the dempsey roll. How/when do those fish names change remember I was a bluegill last year probably because I don't post enough on here.

Ancient_Fish_Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2010
Las Vegas
Ha I just noticed my "fish" name is Jack Dempsey and I have pic up of Ippo from a boxing manga/anime series where he does the dempsey roll. How/when do those fish names change remember I was a bluegill last year probably because I don't post enough on here.
it changes as you post more in the forums. and nice tank build, what kind of fish do you plan on putting in there??

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Awesome tank man! I love the paper on the says not to move it! I can't really see anyone moving that stand around for fun.. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store