New to datnoids, need help!

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Hey guys. I just joined, and i am really interested in datnoids. I saw on the care sheet i can keep the silver dats in a 4'x2'x2'? And also that they grow slow. So could i maybe grow out 2-3 in a 55 till they get bigger and then upgrade? Im doing my research and trying to get some knowledge. I will be investing in the next month or two so any help is greatly appreciated :headbang2

Ayeeepowlow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
Hawaii
hey welcome! to MFK what you have in that tank with thse datnoids? it would work great if there in there and would grow lil bit more faster take my advice and try to train them to consume pellets

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
I dont have the dats yet. I was planning on getting a 55 here in a month and growing them out till i upgrade, if that will work.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
May as well start bigger if you can. Save u money in the long run. Good luck with the dats

lingi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2009
Malta
Hello there! I am by no means an expert but i have been keeping 3silver datnoids in a 75g for 7months, i got them at about 2.5inches each and 7months down the line 2of them are now 3inch(barely noticable growth) and the other one went to 4.5"! I feed them bloodworms, market shrimp, and chopped up whitebait and occasionally some small guppies when i feel like giving them a treat :p I keep them in brackish water with a full grown moray eel that surprisingly gets on very well with them!

So basically if u get them small i figure 55g can last you quite a while, i suggest getting 4instead of 3 if possible to further spread the aggression (not too much aggression just some chasing and competition for food) but it never hurts!

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Okay, Im just on a budget till i can get some more work this summer so thats why i was thinking a 55 growout. If i use a 55 as a growout what tank mates could i keep with the dats?
again, thanks for the help

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
they are slow growers, should be fine in a 55 for a while. and also if u can add more to trim down aggression.

303mfk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado
Okay, so i will get a 55, and grow out 4 silver dats. and upgrade when they all get about 4 inches. Could i keep some clown loaches with them? Or no tank mates?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I keep CLs with my dats and I have no issues what so ever. Lots of people do it, it should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store