180 suggestions

pullins125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
McDonough, GA
i have a 180 tank and was wondering if Florida Gar would do good in there. if so what are some good tankmates? i want to keep it US native if possible

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
FLG will do fine in that tank. for tankmates please see the pinned topic tankmate thread. good luck--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
problem is most US natives outgrow even a 180... but.. imo a brown bullhead may be a nice option ( imo they stay small enough to not threaten a Gar, 'nore small enough to be gar food. but it's still possible.) or a small group of the more docile panfish ( some have some pretty intense aggression, so be wary. and do your research and prolly read some threads in the Native forum as well) . LG and SM Bass are to active and imo get on the "almost to big" size for even a 180, particularly with other tank-mates. Def read the suggested thread as well.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
problem is most US natives outgrow even a 180... but.. imo a brown bullhead may be a nice option ( imo they stay small enough to not threaten a Gar, 'nore small enough to be gar food. but it's still possible.) or a small group of the more docile panfish ( some have some pretty intense aggression, so be wary. and do your research and prolly read some threads in the Native forum as well) . LG and SM Bass are to active and imo get on the "almost to big" size for even a 180, particularly with other tank-mates. Def read the suggested thread as well.
IME Ameiurus bullheads (yellow/black/brown) get pretty aggressive as they get larger, and i've had instances where black bullheads we brought back and set up in native tanks just went berserk and killed everything else - so i wouldn't recommend them personally with gars. i've had success keeping Anguillid eels with gars on several occasions, so you could go that route if you are set on native fishes. unless you have a bigger tank in mind down the line, many other native combos are temporary at best. you could always go with multiple gar species--
--solomon

pullins125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
McDonough, GA
ok i am gonna do more research before i make a final decision on tankmates. i was thinking bullhead cats and some small mouth bass but bass prob get too big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store