Live Food: Goldfish, Guppies?

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
So, my question is, when it comes to live foods, how much better are guppies compared to goldfish? Is their a better alternative? and can I effectivly raise it on my own?

My Gar only eats live food, and now with feeders in the tank the Birchirs won't eat frozen foods. Is their a solution that anyone has found.

:feedback:

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
Go buy some frozen raw shrimp...cut it up and feed them only that till they give in and eat it.
The shortnose gar in the 150 eats it with no complaints.
So do the bichirs.
Starve 'em to switch. :hearts:

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
There's something in the goldfish that messes up some vitamin or something in many fish, causing long term problems. It is mentioned a few times in the "are feeders bad' thread...

I'd say just get a 20 gal tank and start raising guppies.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Roseys are better than goldfish, guppies are better than rosies, gambusias are better than guppies and a well mixed diet is better than any one fish, even the pickiest eater will take fairy shrimp and small eath worms. mix it up. How would you like to live on nothing but pizza? You probably could but you would die young. Goldfish would be like living on top ramen.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
redtailfool said:
its an enzyme called :THIAMINASE found in goldfish. It destroys vitamin B1 .
Can you show scientific research that proves that fact, if at all possible could you provide a link. One more question, why is it only gold fish that seem to have it, wouldn't other characin's or other fish have this enzyme too.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Its because of how they are raised in fish hatcherys I believe. Raising your own would probably be fine but a pretty large undertaking. Goldfish are not characins BTW.

Oscar guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Queens NY
well i have herd that feeder gold fish or guppys is bad to give to ur fish. And eat even worse when u keep them in a dirty tank so this is what i do. I raise my feeder fish. i use comets now. If you feed comets alot they will grow big in time really BIG. The key here is to give them a clean tank with food and lots of water changes believe me ive bin doing this for three years already and it works like a charm usally it takes some time so i would like have three tanks i would raise the babys in one tank then when there bigger i pass them on to the juvinile tank when they get a little bit bigger i pass them on to the pre adult tank then when there mature and plump u give them to ur fish and take some pop corn and sit bak and watch ur fish tare up those comets

its really fun :hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store