freshwater reticulated sting ray pups

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I have 4 retic pups ready to go to new homes. They were captive bred in my home aquarium, and were born on May 18th 2011. I have 2 males and 2 females available. They are fat and happy little guys around 3 inch disc size. Would prefer them to go to local hobbiests but will ship them AP to AP on Southwest Airlines, for about $75 (will let you know exact shipping charges when I know what airport they are flying to). I am selling them for $80 each. I have sold 3 other pups to fellow MFK members and they can not believe how awesome these CB retics are. All of the pups are currently devouring black worms and are starting to transition over to tiny cut up pieces of night crawlers. Must have a minimum of 125 gallon tank. E-mails can be sent to grapedinox@aol.com as I don't check my MFK very often. But you can search for my name on MFK grapedinox to see pictures in my gallery of my tanks, parents, and babies. I am very firm on the price so please don't ask me to come down. I am located in Spokane Washington

JeremyXXXX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Long Island
Please don't take this the wrong way because I know you are an experienced ray keeper I have followed many of your threads, but that price is quite high. They are obviously a hell of a lot better than the stock at your LFS but LFS around here sell retic pups for $40 or less.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
yeah but those are prolly wild caughts. For retics i would say the pups born in local water are vastly superior as pets. I bet all 4 of hers will survive in local water conditions, even with a intermediate fish keeper. 4 wild caughts would prolly not all thrive in local water, plus the shock from the long handling and export import process can sometimes set up the rays for doom. Id love to buy one off her to add to my trio. hmmm caterpillar does ship me parts everyday from spokane, im sure the boys could put one in a crate haah.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
Thank you J. Lake! I posted a thread here on MFK oh about a year ago asking what would be a reasonable price for a caprive bred retic and the answered I got were from $60-100 so I went with $80 thinking I was middle of the road. I can tell you something a fellow MFK'er told me awhile ago. I sold him 2 of my rays' flew them to Portland and then he drove them to Vancouver. He bout 4 wild caught rays a year before he bought mine and all 4 were dead within 6 months of him purchasing them. He said they were never really healthy, never ate very well and 3 died very fast, and the last one lingered for several months then he lost that one as well. He couldn't believe the difference in my captive bred rays they ate within minutes af being put in their new tank (try that with a wild caught retic ray and let me know how it goes) that is if you ever get them to eat at all. Saying these retic rays are different from WC rays would be totally correct saying they are superior to WC retic rays would be within reason as well. Trust me if you don't want to pay the $80 a piece for them there are many people that will gladly pay that for the comfort in knowing they have a much higher chance of survival with my CB rays. My female has given birth now to 10 pups since last August and all 10 are still healthy and thriving. Get 10 WC retic rays and tell me after 10 months how many of them are still alive. But please if you feel the need to get retic rays from your LFS cause they are cheaper nobody will stand in your way. Cheaper isn't always better, you get what you pay for.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
Oh and J. Lake if you want to set up a transport with Caterpillar I don't have a problem with that as long as it is a fairly direct route. I triple bag them with bag buddies, 1 ray to a bag in a styro box with heat packs. Very comfortable with them in transport for up to say 10 hours or so. And Jeremyxxxx check my marketplace feedback the last person to post feedback is the MFK member from Vancouver that already had WC rays that all died. He too tried to talk me down in price with the same line you used, then he decided he would rather pay a little bit extra for healthy rays rather than chance it with WC that have been exposed to parasites, fish hooks, and days in ammonia polluted water in bags with multiple rays.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The trip is 12 hours on average. Id go airport to airport but last time i got something from the US it was a huge hassle. Maybe if it was sent as a gift it would be less of a hassle. My government loves taxes. Fed ex use to ship to my house overnight from the states. Canadian govt caught on eventually. I would love to add another male to even out the numbers.
For the record I paid 80 for one, 90 for one and 100 for my youngest female because she has a great flower pattern. They are my first and only rays and seem to be very healthy. Super fat tails.

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
Even 12 hours they would be fine. I also have a Male that I was thinking of selling. I think he is either already mature or very very close I am guessing him to be about 2.5 years old, rolled claspers and around 7-8 inch disk. Not sure what size your other rays are. He actually has a pretty good pattern for a retic. He is a WC but I have had him a hear and the previous owner had him for about a year so he has been in local water for 2 years now. He is a heavy eater, and very social. He eats, night crawlers, massivore, and frozen market shrimp. I have never had them in stransport for 12 hours but am thinking they would probably be fine. Longest transport of any that I have shipped has been 7 hours and they said there water was pretty good and they ate within minutes of acclimation into their new tank. I am just a paranoid parent :)

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
20110518_27.JPG20110518_46.JPG20110518_30.JPG

ok first picture has mom in it, and my hystrix. But he is not the father. Second and third pictures are of the pups. There is a fellow MFK member here in Vancouver who has already bought 2 from me, I shipped them Southwest to Portland for $78 a box.

20110518_30.JPG

20110518_46.JPG

20110518_27.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store