Injuried ray not eating

maxon88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2007
Singapore
Hi all,

I've this 12" male leo that was injuried recently by a barb that was shred by a female. The barb manage to dislodge by itself but ever since the ray has been flying around (probably due to the injury) and stop eating. The condition further worsen when the dominant male went to attack it.

I've transferred this male leo into my pup tank for more attention. So far no further infection but it totally stopped eating for at least 1week plus. I've tried two kind of feeders (ghost shrimp, tubiflex worm). It doesn't show any interest in food. Just stay at the spot for the entire day breathing heavily. Please advise. Thank you.

newb4ev3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Indonesia
I face kinda similar thing here. But in my case, female got badly bitten by a male. Move her to quarantine tank. The wound recover, eat market prawn and ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks without any problem and then suddenly stop eating. It's been 3 weeks since the last time she ate anything. Anybody can help?

Thanks.

JohnG

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2010
Moses Lake, WA
Hi all,

I've this 12" male leo that was injuried recently by a barb that was shred by a female. The barb manage to dislodge by itself but ever since the ray has been flying around (probably due to the injury) and stop eating. The condition further worsen when the dominant male went to attack it.

I've transferred this male leo into my pup tank for more attention. So far no further infection but it totally stopped eating for at least 1week plus. I've tried two kind of feeders (ghost shrimp, tubiflex worm). It doesn't show any interest in food. Just stay at the spot for the entire day breathing heavily. Please advise. Thank you.
A couple weeks ago one of my male marbles was attacked by a bigger male, took a big chunk out of his disk. He did the exact same thing, sat in one spot, breathed heavily, and wouldnt eat for about a week and a half. He is eating now, still not back to normal but is recovering.

Only thing you can do is make sure your water parameters stay good and keep offering him food. If he was healthy he should be able to survive a couple more weeks without eating.

How big is your pups tank? If its to small it could be contributing to him not wanting to eat.

I face kinda similar thing here. But in my case, female got badly bitten by a male. Move her to quarantine tank. The wound recover, eat market prawn and ghost shrimp for a couple of weeks without any problem and then suddenly stop eating. It's been 3 weeks since the last time she ate anything. Anybody can help?

Thanks.
Only thing I can think of is to try some nightcrawlers or blackworms on her, and ofcourse make sure your water parameters are good. Also same question as above, how big is the tank you have her in?

newb4ev3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Indonesia
Only thing I can think of is to try some nightcrawlers or blackworms on her, and ofcourse make sure your water parameters are good. Also same question as above, how big is the tank you have her in?
600 liter tank (158 gallon) for my quarantine tank. Already tried nightcrawlers, but so far she hasn't touch it.

djr83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sweden
I had a new motoro that wouldnt eat and hadent eaten for several weeks and was getting really thin. I had basically tried all food I could think of. As a last resort I got recommended to try to feed it neon tetras (is that the english name? Paracheirodon innesi). Kill the tetra and give it to the ray just in front of it. If it's too scared you can use a long tube to feed it through. It ate the first within 5 seconds and kept eating a bunch of them.
After feeding it like this for two days I started to cut the tetras open and filling them with small pieces of herring before giving them to the ray. After a day or two of this it would eat pure herring and was getting fat and healthy again.

Note, my ray wasnt injured at all, it just hadent been eating well since I got it. But it's maybe worth a try?

newb4ev3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Indonesia
I had a new motoro that wouldnt eat and hadent eaten for several weeks and was getting really thin. I had basically tried all food I could think of. As a last resort I got recommended to try to feed it neon tetras (is that the english name? Paracheirodon innesi). Kill the tetra and give it to the ray just in front of it. If it's too scared you can use a long tube to feed it through. It ate the first within 5 seconds and kept eating a bunch of them.
After feeding it like this for two days I started to cut the tetras open and filling them with small pieces of herring before giving them to the ray. After a day or two of this it would eat pure herring and was getting fat and healthy again.

Note, my ray wasnt injured at all, it just hadent been eating well since I got it. But it's maybe worth a try?
Thanks for the insight.

Already tried every possible food that I know. Nightcrawlers, live and frozen ghost shrimp, frozen market prawn, tubifex worm, frozen blood worm, frozen and live feeder (goldfish, somekind of tetra). Tried handfeed and metal thong method. So far no luck. This fish usually ate without any hesitancy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store