75 GAL. GAR TANK

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
can i put 4-6 "ROCKET GARS" in a 75 gal. i think there actually charicins<-(not sure on spelling). and if i could, what type of plants could/should i float, and wich ones look best. i want the plants to give cover and darken the tank a little bit.

also what other fish could i put with them , i was thinking archer fish or scats (greeen and silver). and some type of catfish, would an electric work?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Archers and scats are brackish, does that work for the "gars". Dwarf water lilies and pygmy lotus work well in tanks up to 2' deep and stay where you put them. they provide shade and the stems provide structure under water. They don't work in brackish water. If you have a lot of patience you can "bonsai" some red mangrove if you give them at least 12" air space.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yes, the pike characins mentioned in this thread are totally FW fish. But, Alligator gars (a true gar species) has been found in marine water, as have other species (all of them have ranges that is at least partially coastal other than the shortnose).

DRaGoNoVA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
Singapore
BGG said:
Yes, the pike characins mentioned in this thread are totally FW fish. But, Alligator gars (a true gar species) has been found in marine water, as have other species (all of them have ranges that is at least partially coastal other than the shortnose).
they muz be really hardy then... :22_yikes:

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
sooo...no scats and archers? ook.

i used to hae one in a 29 gal. and i put 2 Tsp. of aquarium salt per gallon because the guy at the lfs said i should. he might have just been trying to sell some of his overstocked aqua salts tho.....but my cat got it somehow, and i havn't found any since.

btw. would a school work in a 75? the one i had maxed about 7" b-4 he was murderd. i want atleast 4 and hopfully 6 or 7. and maybe a syno. catfish.

rubberbanddude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
New York
gars are notourous for getting big

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
rubberbanddude said:
gars are notourous for getting big
These aren't true gar, the pic he linked to shows Ctenolucius hujeta which I have kept. They top out around a foot long or so, like to be in small schools, and do best at 7.0 ph, with slightly hard water. 4-6 should be fine in a 75g tank but they are less flighty if there ar a couple thickets of tall plants or dwarf pond lilies. they apparently do like a little salt so might work with a couple archers but not enough salt for scats. Maybe a couple monos (Monodactylus argenteus) would work. They use all levels of a tank, get about the same length, and their deep bodies would make a nice contrast to the narrow hujetas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store