1.5 gallon pico reef tank?

ibz_rg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.facebook.com
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but I'm sure you're all aware of the little 1.5g Tetra tank kits that they sell for about $20 at Wal-mart, Target, etc.:

I'm wondering if it would be worth it, for a little bit of experience, to turn it into a pico reef tank. Maybe add 3 lbs. of rock, some live sand, and a few polyps, and maybe a crab or shrimp for fun. Would this be possible with a small amount of money and a little bit of maintenance? I won't be keeping fish in it, as this is my first time ever contemplating the idea of a salt water tank, but I figured it would be fun to at least try. Should I do it, or would it require more work than it would end up being worth?

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
i like it try it and learn

ibz_rg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.facebook.com
Also, what would I absolutely need to make this happen? I'm a total saltwater noob and would like to do this with spending the least amount of money possible, but still maintaining a healthy environment.

muffywrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2011
lincoln, NE
All I know is smaller systems have larger swings but your idea is simple enough.... id start with a 10 or 20 though. Petco has their dollar per gallon sale right now.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Small tanks like that are hard core hard to maintain, I would only recomend attempting that to someone experienced.

ibz_rg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.facebook.com
Well that's a downer. I already have the tank, which I keep a few Zebra Danios in. I just wondered if it was possible to turn it into a fun project. I might go buy a 10g and see if that's a little bit less of a challenge.

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Just do it. Trial and error. Live rock will be like $15 salt for like a yr would be like 20. Your inverts another 20. Looks like a pretty small investment. I say if u want to do it. Go for it

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
honestly probably not even that much. you can often find LR at 2-3$ a pound on craigslist and 2-3lbs would be more than sufficient, most LFS sell pre-mixed RO/Saltwater for about $1 a gallon that way you wont even have to buy salt, after that you dont have to buy anymore salt water except for water changes (which on a single invert 1.5gal is going to be virtually never) - they usually also sell RO water for somewhere in the 50-75 range, thats what you use to top off your tank. don't use tap water that would be a big mistake. Honestly you're looking at $10 max on LR about $5 max on water, if your LFS will sell live sand or aragonite sand by the lb about 2 lbs of that another like $6 bucks - as long as the small filter you have on there is creating good water circulation you're honestly good to go at that point. special lights are not a requirement in that type of set up. I hope you give it a shot, if you prepare and find the supplies at the right cost you can have the entire thing done for under $30

dzjr1188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2011
allentown, pa
I have seen lots of nano tanks under 10g done, most crash 2-5 times a year. if your gonna do it easiest way is to have a large system that has flawless water in it and when you do water changes you pull out and use water from the big tank for the nano. To be honest if you don't have a full reef system 150g or bigger thats been cycled and stable for 12 months, i wouldnt try it. If you do have that 0.5g water changes every other or every third day, no fish, a small shrimp or crab you could do. but that light isnt enough for any polyps or corals. sorry man could be done but best left to the experts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store