Black Pacu vs Red Belly Pacu

whispyb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wisconsin
Could anyone tell me if there any other differances between a black and red or hybrid Pacu other than the obvious color, please? The one I have doesn't have any red on it. Because of the more rounded fin ends, ect. I'm pretty sure it's a female. She is around
20" long, around 7-9" tall and 2 1/2 -3" wide. All fins, back and tail are black. He sides are a dark dark grey and her face is a bit lighter grey. She is approximately 4 - 4 12 years old. Any idea on what her value is would also be appreciated. I also have a large 20" Pleco(sorry, don't know what kind, other than a common one). Along with those two, I also have a 10- 12" Albino Tiger Oscar that I will be needing to rehouse (sell) soon because I will be traveling again and won't be able to care for them. Any ideas on values I should ask for them would be appreciated. All are very healthy happy fish and I really hate to sell them. But must do what is best for them.
Thank you all ahead of time.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Let's get some mis-info out of the way. Often times red belly and black pacu are often interchanged. It's confusing because black finned pacu are also refered to as black pacu.
For this purpose, I'll call red belly "red" and black finned "black".

Black pacu will get easily twice as big as a red (you can imagine the size of them). Blacks tend to be more elongate in body shape when compared to a much rounder bodied red.
Blacks will show show a definite line in color that runs midway down the body seperating top from bottom with two tones of gray/black.

The hyrids come due to the fact that they grow ratehr quickly. It was first used in aquaculturing them as a food source....more food faster. They've made their way into the pet trade now.

Most of the animals in the pet trade are red or hybrids. It's very rare to find a true black pacu. If you indeed find one, the price usually reflects the rareness of the animal.

whispyb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2006
Wisconsin
Thank you Zoodiver, I did not mean to sound like I thought my Pacu is a black, I was simply asking for more info. If anyone would care to shoot me an offer on these, I would be happy to consider it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store