Pregnant Jack Dempsey?

RiverMonsterFisher

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2010
Greenville, SC
Can anyone show me what a pregnant female JD looks like? And what there coloring and behavior is like. Also any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

bobtatersaladsmith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
GA, USA
Right before my JD laid her eggs, she ate a ton of food. And I mean a TON. She started acting less shy, and began to mark off a section of the tank as JD territory where she later laid her eggs. Her tummy area was swollen pretty noticeably for a week or two before she finally laid them. Do you have a prego?

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
Dempseys dont get pregnant. Google "external fertilization"
lol, agreed... her belly might be full of eggs but then again she might just be over fed lol

do you have a male in the tank???

jakeca77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Golden State of Mind
Ya I think the correct term is "gravid".

I have never had JDs spawn before but my other fish just look fatter and rounder when they are full of eggs (gravid). They can lay eggs when they look normal and skinny as well though.

RiverMonsterFisher

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2010
Greenville, SC
Right before my JD laid her eggs, she ate a ton of food. And I mean a TON. She started acting less shy, and began to mark off a section of the tank as JD territory where she later laid her eggs. Her tummy area was swollen pretty noticeably for a week or two before she finally laid them. Do you have a prego?
Well mine started eating every other day. And got shyer. Her tummy is not normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store