QUESTION ON MARBLE MOTOROS

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
hey guys really interested on opinions first hand knowlage on this subject i have heard that when marbles get older they lose their color chain linking or tri color so to speack is this true or just people talking saying things because they really don't know very interested to get hear what peaple have to say Aqua man i would definatly love to hear from you on this subject Your beaties how old are they your oldest and such .Or is it a marble reaches a certain development and beauty and that's it no more progression ?????Or do they actually loose color beauty????????????

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
One more thing is it related to size age or none of the above ?????

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
I've wondered this as well. The lack of 16"+ marbles doesn't help the matter!

I have yet to have a marble over 12" but I think what happens is as the ray grows, the pattern stays the same making it look less detailed. Sort of how a motoro pup has a ton of spots but as the ray grows the spots are spread out more, making the pattern look dull but the spots themselves have never changed

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
I've wondered this as well. The lack of 16"+ marbles doesn't help the matter!

I have yet to have a marble over 12" but I think what happens is as the ray grows, the pattern stays the same making it look less detailed. Sort of how a motoro pup has a ton of spots but as the ray grows the spots are spread out more, making the pattern look dull but the spots themselves have never changed
I personally think it is more talk then anything I am definatly finding things out first hand with Pbass complete untruths and just made up answers for nothing more then lack of knowlage and unwilling to just say i don't know and have to come up with something whether it be true or just sounds good LOL!!!!!

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
i think we both know marbles change to their enviroment.as they age, they change.some for the better,some not.i know of 3 that have gotten better as they aged and 1 thats pretty much stayed ugly.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
All depends on genes if you ask me. If the parents are nice as adults then it's very likely the pups will as well.

Absolutely Marbles can loose thier pattern/beauty. I have first hand experience with a pup that was absolutely amazing as a pup. By 12" she was average at best. This is why people don't understand the pricing. If you know something's gonna be nice, and stay nice it's worth more then a gamble.

Big nice Marbles ARE uber rare. A vast majority will loose thier patterns with age. Even the nice ones may deteriate, just not as much.

Enviroment plays a huge factor. The color of substrate, background, especially lighting will all effect them differently. Water quality is another factor. I've seen great improvement in several of mine after they went into the 750. The filtration is rediculous. The tank they came from even had halide lighting on it oposed to the 750 having flourescents.

I'm a big fan of variables. Testing everything. Try something, note the change, try it again. What works for some may not for others but if it seems to repeat there's usually some truth to it. I've spent the last 3+ years trying to crack Marbles and it took until just lately to feel as though I'm even starting to understand things and that's came from experience, just paying attention to mine and others as they grow and develope. We won't find out anything rock solid until we're several generations deep, but it's pretty easy to draw conclusions from what we've seen so far.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
i think we both know marbles change to their enviroment.as they age, they change.some for the better,some not.i know of 3 that have gotten better as they aged and 1 thats pretty much stayed ugly.
You know it CJ that's why i was questioning for sure !!!!
All depends on genes if you ask me. If the parents are nice as adults then it's very likely the pups will as well.

Absolutely Marbles can loose thier pattern/beauty. I have first hand experience with a pup that was absolutely amazing as a pup. By 12" she was average at best. This is why people don't understand the pricing. If you know something's gonna be nice, and stay nice it's worth more then a gamble.

Big nice Marbles ARE uber rare. A vast majority will loose thier patterns with age. Even the nice ones may deteriate, just not as much.

Enviroment plays a huge factor. The color of substrate, background, especially lighting will all effect them differently. Water quality is another factor. I've seen great improvement in several of mine after they went into the 750. The filtration is rediculous. The tank they came from even had halide lighting on it oposed to the 750 having flourescents.

I'm a big fan of variables. Testing everything. Try something, note the change, try it again. What works for some may not for others but if it seems to repeat there's usually some truth to it. I've spent the last 3+ years trying to crack Marbles and it took until just lately to feel as though I'm even starting to understand things and that's came from experience, just paying attention to mine and others as they grow and develope. We won't find out anything rock solid until we're several generations deep, but it's pretty easy to draw conclusions from what we've seen so far.
Hey great answer and thanks perfect point also about several generations deep And how many guys have this first hand knowlage my guess is a small handful and are they willing to put their knowlage out there ???????? That is what i am tryen to find out LOL!!!Very hard to pry good info as we all well know:naughty:Most info is GARBAGE repeated to a point of driving me Nuts :nilly::nilly::nilly:LOL!!!! and to a point crazed crying laughter and beating my head against a wall Shweeeew had to dramatize a bit LOL!!!!But seriously you guys know of what i speak for sure !!!!!

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
This is one of my favorit topics!

I want to throw something out there that I have been thinking about!!!

This first picture is of a MM wild caught specimen at around 12". The clasper development is almost none existent. I know you cant get the best veiw of them from the picture, If you guys want I can get a better picture but for now just take my word for it. Also, the "marble" pattern is not vivid but more muttled. Now I do understand that this fish is on a dark substrate but I have seen MM of this quality on light substrate as well and they still look poor. If anyone has pictures of a marble of this variant I would love to see if the light gravel and such made any substantial difference. In addition, this male has been in captivity since early April.
marble CT.jpg

Now in these next three pictures I have my other MM. This fish is also wild caught but I have had him since he was around 6-7", he is now around the 13" marke. He has vivid pattern and has had so since I got him. The first picture is of him last August. The second two are from last month. His claspers are much more mature than the first male pictured even though they are about the same size. I will go on to say the claspers have been so since early this year and have been ever growing thicker. I had had this fish under my care since June of last year. The seller had him for two months which means he was wild caught around March-April of 2010 (possibly)

baby rav.jpgrav 1.jpgrav 2.jpg

So I have been thinking and looking at a lot of pictures and my question is, could we possibly be looking at two different rays? maybe they are being collected in the same area but I have to say that the physical apprearance between the two fish are apparent. I mean Take a look at frontosa, we have moba. Kitumba, Burundi, Samzi and many others. Is it crazy to think that maybe instead of just dealing with different qualities of fish that we could be looking at two very different fish all together. Its just something I have been thinking about. I would love to hear what some of the experts have to say!!

marble CT.jpg

rav 1.jpg

rav 2.jpg

baby rav.jpg

dparks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
oh by the way, sorry for double post but they are both wild caught from the Orinoco. From where exactly I am not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store