Henlei Hand Feeding

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
She's still in quarantine (75 gal) but doing much better than she was when I got her. I know the reflections on the glass make it hard to see but I couldn't get any video without that much light so it is what it is.

Please don't bother replying that I'm gonna get stung - it shows a basic lack of understanding of when and why rays sting. She clearly doesn't feel threatened here, she's not getting ready to sting the hand that feeds her.

For the observant: yes, those are Emperor filters. I know you're not "supposed" to filter ray tanks with them but I think I know what I'm doing.

Finally, I decided to make this video in vague response to a recent post suggesting rays don't "beg" or come to the front of the tank when they see people. I started "teaching" this ray to climb the tank wall and take food from my fingers 3 days ago - she already would climb the wall in "excitement" or "anticipation" so it was very easy to encourage the behavior.

[YT]1mL8lrb_TJ0[/YT]

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
We know u are No rookie pete lol u take great care of your rays! I still use a few hob filter too lol

Great lookin hen, we need an update on your whole collection

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
That's awesome, the ray is healthy and looking great, keep up the good work

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
very nice love that she takes the food like that...

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
Whoever says rays dont "beg" or get excited when the owner comes near the tank is dumb. MINE do it all the time!

GREAT collection Pete!!!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
She is a really nice looking ray. Crazy belly.

Fishdog's lady Jag used to spit water over the side of my pond while she bobbed up and down on the sides if she heard people in the basement and she didn't get fed. They definetly know. I think they're a lot smarter then people give them credit for.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Thx all. She's been a lot of work to get in shape but it's been worth it and she's finally getting there.

I have a pair of 8'x4' acrylic tanks being built (or should be being built :nilly:) so I'll do a full update when everyone is in their new home. Might not be for a few months yet tho' but when I get them it'll be 4xHenlei in one, 3xMotoro in the other and 2xHystrix in my 8'x3' tank. I have some nice Geophagus (you can find a video of them via this video) that I may put with the Hystrix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store