Question for those breeding Marbles......

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So general rule of thumb is 50-60 days after first signs of movement correct?

Obviously this is "typical", but I'd like to know what is the longest anyone has seen movement in thier females before giving birth?

And idea what would cause them to hold longer then expected?

The female I picked up from Todd (CoolMBU) was reunited with her boyfriend in my pond at the end of January.

I set up my 750 and moved rays into it April 16th. There was obvious signs of movement in her at that time. I anticipated having to divide the big tank so I glued acrylic to the bottom to brace the divider and drilled holes in the top of the tank for zip ties to hold the divider. Worked great. Could feed the mom while the 20" ogre tried her best to knock it down. Never happened.

Well we marked the calender. 60 days came and went. Thought the worst but still saw movement. Every morning I'd go flying down there to check on her and be disapointed to find no pup (only expecting 1 as she never showed signs or movement for more then 1) I'd carefully look at her back and there was always still faint movement.

Well yesterday she FINALLY gave birth to a fat lil baby female. I came up with 88 days of movement from the time we dropped her into the 750 till now. The messed up thing is the movement at the time was NOT faint. Very prevelant. Who knows how long there was movement prior to going into the 750?

There was a period of about 3 weeks with my big girl from the time I thought I saw movement till the time I was sure of it. Goin through this same period with another female here, still not 100% sure though. I'd like to know if others are seeing similarities with thiers or is this just me being new to rays actually breeding, or if Marbles are just all over the place in terms of "typical" pregnancies.

I've also heard of moms absorbing pups. Does this mean no fetuses, no evidence they ever existed OR would there still be stillborns?

Just seems odd to me that after producing so well for someone else she gets to me and drops one after holding it forever.

I thought maybe I wasn't feeding enough but this girl pretty much ate a whole tillapia fillet or 14-18 pcs of shrimp all to herself per feeding.

Kinda wish I would have seperated her but thought she wouldn't have any trouble shruggin off a lil male that's half her size. I was wrong. His fight is twice his size. So now I'm kinda worried she may be in need of a rest that she may not have the option of having now.

Thanks for any input...... :)

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Db, i wont be help with marbles, but i have kept records of my regular motoro's births and i have seen movement almost dead on 50 days every time! I have noticed increased size where i can say...."yea she's prego" at around 40 days....

I have had births from 89 days to 102 days. This is out of 6 litters.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So this girl likely carried 128-138 days bare minumum?

Guess that's not quite as long as I was thinking. I knew they typically took a bit longer, but am just wondering if there may be an underlying factor that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the reply Keepin......

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i would say it is possible....

someone i am not sure if it was turkeyboy or vamp, but had a litter of motoro's go out 120-130 days i think.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Not sure when the last time this girl got a break from pups.....

Maybe she just needs a break and the long pregnancy was her way of getting one?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
it seems that marbles and blackies carry pups longer then reg motoros.

my pure leo is about 125 days prego right now and ive seen movement well over 70 days now.

i am thankful for long pregnancies now though, it helps guarantee fat healthy pups

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
My marble female had pregnancies that lasted 90-100 days if I remember correctly. I really don't remember how long it was after I saw movement that she gave birth, but I would guess about half way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store