WHAT? Stingray touchpool, cut it off!

ilshieldyou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
New York, I think.
Hello guys! I've noticed this stingray forum is rich with information! I'm also planning to own a small tank for some black diamond rays.

But I'm wondering... Do you guys to cut off the stingray's sting; up to its very end so that it won't grow again?

I know that rays are not that aggressive to hurt or attack; its first instinct is to flee than charge. I'm dead curious about this; especially about stingray touchpools where people are allowed to touch rays.

So, do you guys cut off or sterilize their sting?

If yes, then how? What are your methods? After you cut the sting, do you burn the end to avoid regrowth?

If no, why not?

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
1. Inhumame
2. Causes way too much stress
3. Unhealthy
4. It would be like asking to cut off some ones hand because they can punch with it making them dangerous.

Also how small is a "small" tank you are looking to get.

ilshieldyou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
New York, I think.
1. Inhumame
2. Causes way too much stress
3. Unhealthy
4. It would be like asking to cut off some ones hand because they can punch with it making them dangerous.
I see your point there! But I worry about some of the kids that come to the house. They're so curious and naughty, so I worry about them getting hurt.

Also how small is a "small" tank you are looking to get.
Currently I'm busy finding some equipment for my first reef aquarium. If I'm successful with the reef, I'm getting a 2mx0.5mx1m (L,W,H) aquarium for 3 or 5 rays. You seem to know much, so, is the said tank size enough for rays? And how about the LSS for rays, any recommendations?

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Trolly moley!

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
They're so curious and naughty, so I worry about them getting hurt.
Perhaps they'll learn to be less curious and less naughty whether by parental instruction or learning through experience?

There are lots of threads here on removal of stingers - you noted the forum is rich with information and then re-asked a question that has been asked and answered dozens of times..

That tank wouldn't be big enough for a freshwater ray (and certainly not for 3-5) but if it's saltwater rays you're talking about mutilating you may want to ask in a different sub-forum.

I_got_no_idea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2011
Seattle
U can just get a pair of pliers and clip it off. But if u want a touch tank the stinger will grow back. If u get the tail itself past the area where the stinger is then the stinger and the tail won't come back. But wat i would do is get some food u have and feed ur ray by hand. Be very careful and feed him slowly. If he runs keep ur hand in the water and let the stingray come back. but he will slowly come and eat your food. Then once you keep doing this the stingray will get used to ur hand. Then try to touch him a little bit. After a while he will get used to it and you can get your kids to touch him and feed him but make sure slowly and hold their hand while you do it.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Its not in my nature to knock anyone but i have to agree with Peter,its all too silly to talk about and very dangerous for the inexperienced to contemplate carrying out such an operation.Your question tells its own story,you obviously don't have the know how or the experience,there's a lot more to rays than their stingers(Barb),perhaps you should look at something far less challenging,there's plenty of large impressive fish out there that carry no danger!
All the best!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store