Japanese River Monster: Giant Lake Biwa Catfish in SoCal

Status
Not open for further replies.

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
I'm getting a few of these from a friend overseas and can get a few more for others if there is an interest.

This fish is rarely collected so this is a special opportunity.

Here is some info I found online:

Giant Lake Biwa Catfish (Silurus biwaensis) is a very large Catfish that is found in Japan in Lake Biwa along with the Largemouth Bass and many other species. Also known as Biwako-ohnamazu this freshwater monster is the largest fish in Lake Biwa, weighing up to 331lbs (150kg) and growing to a length of 106" (270cm).

The Giant Lake Biwa Catfish has barbel that allow them to sense their prey around them. They are even believed to be able to predict earthquakes as seen on River Monsters. Giant Lake Biwa Catfish are known to become much more active and therefore caught by commercial fisherman just before earthquakes.

And here is the episode of River Monsters:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b0GzNGn8BA

I will also be getting some Silurus lithophilus (biwa rock catfish) which is a smaller variant which grows to around 2 feet in length. Looks similar but has a brown and yellow marbled pattern.

Below are some pics I found online.

I will be getting small hatchlings so international shipping will be a lot easier.

The cost is $300 each with limited quantities available.

Local pickup in Los Angeles is preferred, but I can ship domestically via Southwest Cargo at your expense. You will need to research this on your own, but the cost should be somewhere between $75-$100 per box.

PM me if you're interested and I'm asking for a $100 deposit per fish via paypal.

After I put in the order, the fish will be shipped to me within a week and then I can pass them on to you.

I have only a week to put in my order, so please contact me as soon as possible.

lake biwa cat 1.jpg

biwa rock catfish 2.jpg

lake biwa cat 2.jpg

lake biwa cat 3.jpg

biwa rock catfish 1.JPG

biwa rock catfish 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store