Stingray Biting...

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Does anyone have any pics as to what stingray bites on other stingrays look like?

Someone in my tank is taking chunks out of my rays.. just the outer disc area.

I THINK it's the Ven Pike, as the bites are U shaped like his mouth.

The only other tank mates are Datnoids, carpintis, and juranese cats.

The Pike is very calm, but ever since the Flower Ray passed, he's been irritated (acting all frantic) and it's been as of then since the bites are showing up.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Pic's of the bites please

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Here are two pics, the bites are the white marks which is what you will see in most cases. Usually only a dominant mature male will take chunks out of disk edge if he is trying to mate or just aggressive in nature. My jag male is aggressive enough to take chunks out but unlikely with your motoros. Sounds like another fish.
IMG_4136.jpg
IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Best I can do..

My large male also has a bite like this.. Maybe the large female ray is doing this?

She is a little dominant over everyone.

IMG_0806.JPG

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
My male bites my female but they just look like bruises, those look really quite nasty but I would not be shocked if that was another ray.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
She's going to be divided, and possibly moved to a separate tank.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Thats nothing compared to my large preg female. The previous owner had left her to be beaten up terribly!!! To me, it looks like another ray. Just keep the water good, I added melafix and it had cleared everythign up pretty quick. It should grow back no problem. Just seperate by trial and error or until you see one bitting another.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store