Stingrays tail looks nipped

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Anyone have an experience with their rays tail being nipped, or looking like it has a fungus on the very end of it. My ray looks as if about 1/4 of an inch of color has been taken off his tail. The tail is there but looks like the color is coming from around the bone or something. Where it was once black, it now looking white on the tip. He shares a tank with anotehr ray, tig, blk bar silver dollars, nothing threathing it appears. Eats well, but the tail is a concern now. Water par appear to be fine, and I jsut did a cycle today and added salt.
What is a proven medication for fungus and where to get it from. I have nothing here but petsmart and they only carry pimafix and melafix. What are the pros using and where to rush order some from? Until then I will keep doing 20% water changes daily and adding a 1/2 cup of salt. (125gal)
Thanks in adavnce

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
can you get a picture of it?

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I would suspect the other ray to be the nibbler. I would just keep doing the water changes it might be a bit soon to risk adding any meds.

I have heard of others using binox but I have no personal experience with it so I would seek expert advice before attempting it

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
More than likely the other ray, How often do you feed. I have never used meds to treat bites or nips from other rays clean water and sometimes a little salt. It will more than likely lose the part that is all white. Just watch and make sure no fungus develops.

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
can you get a picture of it?
There are pic posted, maybe after you looked.
I feed daily at least 10 worms two shrimps and a few mass pellets. They are both aggressive when it come to food so I lure them on each end of the tank for feeding.

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
the tail will heal just fine without meds just will be shorter !!!! its most likely from the other ray ....dont stress it will be fine just keep the water in good condition

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Hey Brent'
Yeah had me up all night worried, but after a good water change and a little salt, woke up this morning and he was looking fine, in fact the tip must have come off, because he look normal again. :headbang2. pouncing on worms, shrimp, and mass pellets.
I'll assume the tail will grow back with age, correct?

Brent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
TFC
the tip wont grow back but as the ray gets bigger it will blend .......alot of my rays have shorter tails or pieces missing

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
It's all good then!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store