HOW TO KEEP RAY BILL CHEAP

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Hey dudes my freaking ray bills are getting insane!!!!

first is the water bill but i cannot do a thing about that except maybe steal water above the meter lol!! "not going to do that"

the food bill is insane now.i have 8 rays they are all large now with increasing appitites.i can tell they will eat way more than i am giving them ,and trust me i give them lots already.

i buy these bags of raw shrimp 2lbs bags for $10 theirs about 200 shrimp or more in the bag.one bag last me two days now.thats $5 per day.i feed smelts too they are the same price.i think they could eat one of these bags in a day no problem.but that will be soon my largest rays are only around 18"

i would love to hear all and any ideas from everybody how and what they do to make things cheaper.their was a good one i read the other day about catching my own fish for them "i do go fishing 3 times a week" but i doubt my rays will eat trout

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yeah I imagine those bills are prettty high. I have only 3 lil laticeps and they eat 50 bucks worth of food a week. And just like you I feel like they would eat more if i let them. I cant imagine the bill on 8 rays even if the largest is 18 inches. Maybe they will eat trout fillets? Worth a try. I have a giant salmon in my freezer from BC and i jusy "saw" off lil chunks to help withj the bills. I also try and fill them up on nls wafers a lil first haha

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Are you able to get them on to pellets as you can mix up a lot of different pellets to bulk them out, this is a good mix of diet as often they are very balanced with all the added vitamins. Fresh fish is no doubt brilliant but obviously very expensive, I try a mix of everything.

I am currently mixing sturgeon pellets in with my massivore and carnivore pellets along with hikari cichlid gold, i don't add much of the sturgeon pellet but it was recommended to me by a ray keeper and I have posted up the ingredients before and nobody seemed to have an issue.

On the water front you could reduce the drip down to a value that records just a low level of nitrate, I run an average of 20ppm nitrate tested weekly, this way I only drip 30 gallons per day and that costs me about £1.50 per month on a water meter. I turn mine on for 1 hour per day but you do need a "fancy solenoid" (joke) to control that on a timer, mine cost about £150 for a very high quality normally closed one, my aquatronica controls it but you can used a plug timer. It is literally an on /off electric tap.

I bet they would get used to eating trout but it might be messy and it could take an age to fillet it.

How about making a worm farm, I cannot believe how fast they grow and breed, plus they eat a lot of your old veggie waste.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
pellets are not cheaper ,espcailly nls or hikari. my rays could eat 100 pellets each per day easy! j lake $50 a week for three laticepts absolute madness nls is killing you superstore has bags of smelts 2lbs for $7.99

pellets have nothing better than smelts or shrimp.if you read the nutritional value of a bag of smelts their probably the same or more vitamens as their is in nls or hikari "plus theirs bones and gutts".where do you think the pellets get the vitamens from.pellets are just easier not cheaper and definatley not natural.all they are is cheap fish grinded up and a bunch of wheat or ash whatever they add and dry them out! i am against pellets because the cost is so much in canada and their not natural, a small bag of hikari is selling for $45 my rays would need two of those bags a day.and a big bucket of nls would last no more than a week for $100 or more! i think pellets must be cheaper everywhere else in the world cause up here they are a ripp off!

i was thinking more like buying some shrimp in bulk if anybody knows or has ideas where i could. like costco or real canadian wholsale

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
worm farm is a good idea but it would need to be huge,hear you can feed them newspaper

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Pellets are only an add in, I agree that a whole fish must have everything in there but the manufacturers go to great lengths to make them as good as they can.

You would be amazed at how much the worms reproduce in the right environment, I regularly opened a tub no more than 6inches x4x4 and there were literally hundreds of baby worms in there and the a few weeks later they were up to feeding size.

I do put newspaper in with mine and a few days later there is not a lot left, I also put in scraps of veg and some fruit. I think bran should be used too. I am toying with making a proper farm as the tubs do tend to make the soil wet. They need good drainage but I think the run off fluid is good for plants.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
DIY- Do It Yourself foods might help.
There are a few posts on here about different ways to do DIY foods.
Also, see if your rays will eat Talipa. You can get large bags of frozen Talipa at walmart for around 12 bucks.
That will help from just buying shrimp and smelt all the time..

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
You can do it in many ways, but the total ammoung during a year would be exactley the same. And would cost the same. I dont think there is a cheap way to go, if you dont give the waste stuff that noone will have and eat themselfes:)

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Toby, I do exactly that mix.
I have a tub and mix the following hikari:
40% sturgeon, 20% carnivore, 20%Massivore and 20% ccichlid gold
I find a kilo of king prawn is £10 but lasts only a week. A kilo of hikari is £50 odd, Which last
Much longer.
In a week I feed the pellet mix and 5 days with prawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store