Bio Spira cycled my tank in 30 minutes?

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
Okay, last month, I set up a new tank, put Bio Spira in with established filter media...During the cycling process, my readings had nitrite spikes from week to week and it would go down to 0 but always had ammonia..I was thinking something was wrong becaue yesterday, i had a 1 ammonia reading with no nitrites...I thought it could be my old undergravel filter being clogged or not working properly..So I decided to buy a new undergravel filter which looked a lot better and I bought some Bio Spira..Well, after putting in the new undergravel filter and Bio Spira, my tank cycled in 30 minutes because I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite right now..

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I thought my lfs only sold the 30g packets....2 weeks ago, I ended up buying 6 of them for the 180....Today, for the first time, I saw the 90g packets for sale for only $19.99...Wait another week and see your parameters....This stuff is amazing...

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Don't waste your money on the big packets, it may take a little bit longer, but you will save a lot of money if you just buy the 10 gallon packet and culture it.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The 90 gallon packet is 18.99 here, and the 30 is 12.99, I would do the 90 gallon for any tank from 75 gallons up. The point of bio-spira is to jump start your bacteria, why spend the money at all if you are going to wait?

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Taz2478;552455; said:
They have 90g packs now :swear: They only had 10 and 30 when I did my 150 last yr, guess it was too new.
My thoughts exactly....Luckily this stuff works, for if it did'nt, I would of kicked my lfs's asses....

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
They make one more size that is larger than a 90 gallon. My LFS got a bucket of it to jump start their system, it came in a 5 gallon bucket!

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
Taz2478;552455; said:
if you already had your tank running for a month with used media and BS then the new BS didnt exactly cycle your tank in 30mins. Or am I reading something wrong here.

They have 90g packs now :swear: They only had 10 and 30 when I did my 150 last yr, guess it was too new.
I am kind of a disagreement with you..First of all, I used Bio Spira when I first got the tank a month ago with old filter media..My undgravel filter was shot and I did not know it at that time...How did I know? Well, I always got nitrite spikes and it went down to 0, the nitrite; and ammonia was always present..Meaning, that my filter was not working properly..I changed the undergravel filter to a new one the other day..If I did not add Bio Spira, the tank would still be in the cycle mode because there was ammonia and no nitrite as I took the reading before with my shot undergravel filter..

The cycling process: it goes ammonia shoots up then goes to 0, then nitrites shoots up then goes to 0 then nitrates where they always have a number..

In any case, Bio Spira with all the bacteria I had in the tank do indeed expedite the process..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store