So I have this problem.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I am new to rays and I made my first purchase approximately 3 weeks ago. He's in my 310 gallon home made tank and seems to be healthy and happy. I've moved a lot of the rock out and reformed the remainder so that he has the majority of the tank to swim on the floor and in the sand.

Between then and now I was out of town for a week and had a neighbour checking in on the fish and feeding them. Since my return I'm noticing a unique form of rock cover. I have had saltwater tanks in the past and what I'm seeing now looks like 'slime algae'. I can treat it but now I'm concerned that the ray may be susceptable to the treatment. Can anyone advise on a safe treatment for my issues?

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yes while I was away the lights were on in excess of 12 hours most days. Last night was only about 4 but on Average they will be on around 6 - 8. I'll keep it down for a while and see if it can resolve itself. Anyone else?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Don't 'treat' for algae. Remove what it's feeding on: Light and phosphate. White/light colored rock and substrate will amplify the impact of the light entering the tank.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have the unfortunate problem of phosphates occuring 'naturally' in my tap water. the problem was magnified in my salt water tank to the point that I had to purchase ro water for all my waterchanges. I'm not doing that again so I'll have to figure out a way to deal with it. I know there are phosphate removers but I don't really like to use that kinda stuff. I try and keep my tanks as natural as I can.

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
I have the unfortunate problem of phosphates occuring 'naturally' in my tap water. the problem was magnified in my salt water tank to the point that I had to purchase ro water for all my waterchanges. I'm not doing that again so I'll have to figure out a way to deal with it. I know there are phosphate removers but I don't really like to use that kinda stuff. I try and keep my tanks as natural as I can.
if you try to keep them as natural as possible, why were you wanting to "treat" the tank for algae? i like the look of the algae on the rocks TBH

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What I was looking to treat was the 'slime' not the algae. As I understand it the slime is not tru algae and I was not aware that it could be dealt with by providing less light (more natural). Add to that the fact that providing less light is, in itself, a treatment.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
does your tank have plants in it? i'm curious as to why the lights need to be on 6-8 hrs even. rays are cool with less lighting. i turn my lights on for feeding and will leave them on for like 2 hrs and then turn them off again. they will also receive natural light from the window blinds during the day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store