API test kit good\bad?

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Hey. As everything is so darn expencive here in Norway i desided to ebay some nitrat test kit, API came out as the one that could ship to Norway. I bought it, and did a test today. Normaly my nitrat was between 25-50 before, i have added ALOT of plants that grows their roots in the water, and i religiously change water every 4-5 days(40-50%). My test result was 5-10 in nitrat with this API kit. Is it trustworthy? (added this in the ray forum since thats what im holding). And its not test stripes, its liquid.

Its a 550 gallon pond, changed 50% water 2 days ago.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Ive had good luck with my API test kits.
One thing to look for, on the bottle. there will be a lot number.
Example: LOT 70A1210

The last 4 numbers are what you are looking at.
this means
12 = December
10 = 2010

These test kits average a 3 year shelf life.
The Nitrate one is supose to be good for 3 years,
PH is 5 years
Nitrite is 3 years
ammonia - 3 years (if I rember rt)

I myself only keep a test kit for a year, just to be on the safe side, but I would say, it should be ok if at least no older than 2 yrs old at the max....
API of course says they are good up to 3 years total from the date made.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
I only use API.
And from time to time have my LFS test as a back up.

Most fish stores will test for you. Take some water and see if they will test it for you.
If the reading are the same, then you know your API readings are correct.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Im not going to fishstores anymore :) Bin in the hobby for 18 years nonstop, they never have anything that intrests me, unfortunatly. I think im relying on the results. But since ive never used it before, i was wondering. Normaly i use Tetra Nitrat kit, but they cost the double compared to API on ebay.

bcfd144

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2010
Missouri
Im not going to fishstores anymore :) Bin in the hobby for 18 years nonstop, they never have anything that intrests me, unfortunatly. QUOTE]

I agree with you on that part. Today, most fish stores are not worth a crap. Hate the chain of stores that deal with every kind of pet, and hire people that have no clue what they are talking about.
Im lucky enough that the LFS I go to is a small, one owner, one man runned business. He is a good friend of mine and ALL he deals with is fish and coral. Nothing else.
Freshwater and Saltwater..
He keeps everything you would need, but if there is something he doesnt have, he will order if for you. You can go in and find what you need, or go in, sit around and chat..
His advice is always good and if there is ever a problem, he will help you out, even if you dont have the cash. (can pay later)

I think you will be good with the test. Like I said, Ive always used API and have never had any problems with it.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I use Nutrafin liquid test kits, very easy to use and very reliable imo.
I use the Nutrafin kit for KH/GH tests. The API KH/GH test kit is absolutely horrible. Many are duds and never change color, or change after one drop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store